Sunroof question

04silversnake

Established Member
I have a 91 gt that came with sunnroof. I removed the tint since it was fading and had a few air bubles. I want to know what you guys do to avoid the hot sun from hitting on top you your head or keep the sunlight from entering inside the car. I am planning on putting the darkest tint, maybe double it. It does not look that it came with the option of sliding a cover like other cars, is this correct?. I want to know what solution you guys have come up for this?
thanks.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
no they did not come with a sliding cover. You maybe able to make one though (non-sliding) On my 83 GT that had t-tops, I got some flat carboard and cut it for a tight fit against the tops. Then I went to an upholstry shop and bought some matching headliner material. Sprayed the cardboard down with some 3M adhesive and put the material on it.

you can experiment with a sunroof and see what happens. If it doesn't work have your local tint shop throw some 5% tint on it

93snake93

Established Member
I guess your just SOL, but don't put two layers of tint on the glass. Do have any idea of what kinda nightmare your setting yourself up for if you ever decide to remove two layers of tint. Its pretty ugly... dont' do that put on 5% and call it a day.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
After cooking the top of my head thru the t-tops of my 82 GT a couple times, I bought one of the one-piece windshield sun blockers with the foil reflector side and enough headliner material to cover the two t-top glass sections. I brought these down to an upholstery friend of mine, had him cut
out two each sections of the foil sun blocker and headliner material and then
he sewed one of each together with foil side up and headliner down with an edging all the way around. He then sewed velcro lengths on the foil-side
corners of the above pieces and RTV'd the oposite velcro lengths to the four corners of the t-top glass sections underside. From the inside, the headliner material is seen and, from the outside, the reflector foil is evident. This "head-cooking" fix has been in place for over 6 years now.
:coolman:

04silversnake

Established Member
I will go with the 5% tint. If the heat from S. Fl still filters thru, I will try something like what some of you have done, a cardboard or a reflective with a upholster done.
thank you all for the replies.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I had my sunroof tinted years ago with 10% tint, and it did the trick...

I think the shop only charged me $20, I dropped the piece off in the morning and picked it up on my home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread