Sunday Chat/Cooling Stuff

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hope everyone is having a decent Sunday.

~~Street car, not looking to add fans

The heat exchanger (H/E) and radiator in a factory configuration are obviously decent.

When SA does their SS package they change out the radiator and H/E and many "say" it's an upgrade. Is it actually an upgrade to what the factory units are able to provide? Other than shiny and a big ole price tag, whats the customer gaining?

Maybe I need to look at if it's a 3 row, dual pass or w/e?

I understand what fans and do for a track car so no need to hash that to death

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I can't speak directly to SA's SS package, but I believe the radiator and H/E do provide more cooling capacity.

I can speak to VMP's Dual-Fan Triple-Pass H/E, to which I upgraded about 4 years and 15K miles ago. While not directly related, I went with a Reische 170' Tstat at the same time. The combo provides solidly lower ECT and IAT2 readings. For "average" street driving, I rarely seeing ECT above 180 - it's usually within a few degrees of 170, but sitting and idling it still climbs higher. IAT2 averages ~30' above ambient but, as I said, will climb higher when pushing the car hard. I went from being able to do 1-2 passes at the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack (1/2-mile drag racing), to being able to do 3-4 passes before shutting down for cool down.

Users who are viewing this thread