Sumped external pump tank vs internal pump stock tank?

stangy2004

Established Member
I'm running a 2.9 whipple with e85 and need some fuel advice. Looking for pros and cons of going sumped tank external pump or stock tank twin 465 lph return style. Seems about same price both ways.sumped seems like a easier install and can drain fuel when switching 93-e85 but don't see to many people running them. Probably would go with glenns performance for sumped and fore for internal pumps.Any advice?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Both will work, both will cost similar just comes down to which you prefer. There's benefits/downfalls of both. To me the benefits of the intank pumps outweighed the negatives of the external. For example I would go crazy listening to a loud ass single pump. Plus a big external that will flow enough for 700+ on e85 isn't going to last nearly as long as some aem 320's or walbro 465's. That's the benefit of a big single tho is if it fails you know before you hurt an engine. If a single intank pump fails it'll still run fine normally until you go wot and it goes lean.

Wiring them is the same, if you like the looks of the pumps/lines out the back of the tank that's another positive for it.

To recap:

Dual intank pumps
Pro's-quiet, simple, more reliable
Cons-If one fails and you dont have a wideband could be bad news

Single External
pro's-looks cool, if it fails your car's stranded but might save an engine, easier to drain
Con's-loud, less reliable

Positives of big external

bigmoose

Established Member
Draining the tank is easy with my return setup with dual 320e in tank pumps. I have an adapter on the fuel rail I use. I can drain my tank in 5 minutes with the key on.

stangy2004

Established Member
Both will work, both will cost similar just comes down to which you prefer. There's benefits/downfalls of both. To me the benefits of the intank pumps outweighed the negatives of the external. For example I would go crazy listening to a loud ass single pump. Plus a big external that will flow enough for 700+ on e85 isn't going to last nearly as long as some aem 320's or walbro 465's. That's the benefit of a big single tho is if it fails you know before you hurt an engine. If a single intank pump fails it'll still run fine normally until you go wot and it goes lean.

Wiring them is the same, if you like the looks of the pumps/lines out the back of the tank that's another positive for it.

To recap:

Dual intank pumps
Pro's-quiet, simple, more reliable
Cons-If one fails and you dont have a wideband could be bad news

Single External
pro's-looks cool, if it fails your car's stranded but might save an engine, easier to drain
Con's-loud, less reliable

Positives of big external
Do you think the big externals have heat problems?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Do you think the big externals have heat problems?

I've seen some last quite a while and some only last a year or less. I'm not sure if it's a heat problem or just that a single large pump doesn't have the service life of a couple smaller ones. I have seen some old school holley blues and blacks die from heat but that's old carb stuff.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I ran three inline 255 walbros on my last setup with a BBRC sumped tank and I didn't have a single problem ran it that way since 2008. Now I've switched to two magnafuel 750's because I'm switching to e85 and will be making a lot more power so I needed more pump. I would not hesitate to run a setup like mine I've never ad a single problem.

Users who are viewing this thread