Suggestions? Smoking From Vortech Leaking Into Intake

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
This weekend smoke was pouring out of the tailpipes after a highway pull where it was breaking up badly above 5K RPMS. The first thought was that the built motor was getting oil past the rings after a mere 20K miles.

Fast forward to Tuesday and Chris over at Houston Performance had me start the car with the hood up while he watched oil literally spray out of the front seal of the Vortech V-2 head unit.

The head unit was removed today and the intake assembly etc. was returned to stock. The MAF and all the piping were dripping with oil and the cause of the smoke was determined to be oil from the head unit getting into the throttle body via the intake elbow.

The smoke has cut down significantly as compared to before the head unit was removed and the plugs were changed, but the car is still putting out a good amount of smoke especially when moving forward after sitting at a red light for a couple minutes.

Does anyone have any recommendations to perhaps clean the oil out of the intake system etc? Sea Foam Motor Treatment???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

03bluemach

Established Member
im not sure man i would try to hook up a oil catch can just to see if it will help you might have been getting some blow by from the pcv from the blower .. i dont think the sea foam would work well for that ..it's mainly for carbon build up ,but wouldnt hurt to use a can see what happens .. if all eles fails give it some time to burn the oil out of the intake ..im not sure bro..

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
The performance shop told me to just wait it out until the smoke clears and worst case scenario they will remove the intake manifold and clean it when they put the Vortech head unit back on in a 1.5-2 weeks. It seems there is quite a bit of oil in there to burn off. Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread