Suggestions for removing stuck shift knob?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
My Boss knob is stuck. It has been stuck since I first installed it. Apparently, this is a somewhat common problem. I really want to get it off and try this JHR Delrin knob that has been sitting here since November. I have tried and tried, even with a strap wrench, and all I have done is move it enough so that the numbers don't line up any longer. I really am at a loss.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mike

five0three

big deal
Established Member
My Boss knob is stuck. It has been stuck since I first installed it. Apparently, this is a somewhat common problem. I really want to get it off and try this JHR Delrin knob that has been sitting here since November. I have tried and tried, even with a strap wrench, and all I have done is move it enough so that the numbers don't line up any longer. I really am at a loss.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mike

keep going! it's threaded on there, thats about the only way its going to come off...

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Boss 302 knob, lol.

It is so tight that I am actually concerned about the integrity of the stock shifter assembly if I put much more stress on it trying to loosen it. And, I installed this thing by hand. I don't get it.

Mike

mustanginky

Established Member
Try some pb very lightly sprayed up into the threads. Get your strap wrench loosen it as much as possible, tighten it back down. Continually go back and forth, I bet it'll loosen up, just work back and forth.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
What about soaking the shift handle in ice water by somehow heating the shifter knob?

Ahhh, good to see you, Mike. I was waiting for you to show up somewhere!

Try some pb very lightly sprayed up into the threads. Get your strap wrench loosen it as much as possible, tighten it back down. Continually go back and forth, I bet it'll loosen up, just work back and forth.

I have to run to the parts store to get a grease gun. I will get some PB. I don't know if I can physically get the stuff up in there though. If I was not afraid of literally breaking the stock shifter, I would just go caveman on this thing. However, if it breaks, I am SOL as this is my driver.

Mike

five0three

big deal
Established Member
I don't know if I can physically get the stuff up in there though.
Mike

use the little red tube taped to the side of the can. that stuff will work itself in there. i would hold a rag over and under where you are applying to avoid a mess though...

mikestoyz

Established Member
Ahhh, good to see you, Mike. I was waiting for you to show up somewhere!

Yeah, took me forever to remember my user name.
Turn the shifter bracket upside down. Slide a condom up over the shifter ball to form a cup around the shifter shaft and ball to let the pb blaster soak. Ok, stop laughing. Not sure that condom will not melt with the pb blaster though.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
Yeah, took me forever to remember my user name.
Turn the shifter bracket upside down. Slide a condom up over the shifter ball to form a cup around the shifter shaft and ball to let the pb blaster soak. Ok, stop laughing. Not sure that condom will not melt with the pb blaster though.

lol

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
My oem boss knob uses loctite as well as the gt500's. We used a heat gun/hair dryer or warm base of knob then used rubber slip wrench (like the rubber oil filter wrenches). Don't spray pb blaster on knob\boot etc. it takes some time and muscle but will come off. I would use painters tape around the knob to prevent scratches.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I got it off. Used the hairdryer. It was still a bitch and a half. My arm is killing me. What did I find? Blue Loctite all over the threads. That really pisses me off.

Well, it is off and my JHR Delrin knob is on for now. I will try this out before I consider anything else.

Mike

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I got it off. Used the hairdryer. It was still a bitch and a half. My arm is killing me. What did I find? Blue Loctite all over the threads. That really pisses me off.

Well, it is off and my JHR Delrin knob is on for now. I will try this out before I consider anything else.

Mike

Cool glad it worked for you. Ford puts that loctite on all the boss/gt500 knobs to keep them from loosening over time. Pics of the new knob?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Cool glad it worked for you. Ford puts that loctite on all the boss/gt500 knobs to keep them from loosening over time. Pics of the new knob?

Here it is. It is a bit phallic :)dw:), but it stands taller and I am hoping will assist me in my tendency to push too far to the right when going for third at the track.

2012-02-19_16-12-48_851.jpg

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Here it is. It is a bit phallic :)dw:), but it stands taller and I am hoping will assist me in my tendency to push too far to the right when going for third at the track.

Looks good, I love my factory boss one but like the height of that one.

mikestoyz

Established Member

Im having that issue of pushing to far over...either slow or fast shifting. I know the rubber bushing makes it more vague as well since they gotta squeeze so many gears in there and that shifter is so short. Im thinking the taller shifter will actually make it easier to hit the gear just right.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Looks good, I love my factory boss one but like the height of that one.

Yeah, the Boss needs to be taller.

Im having that issue of pushing to far over...either slow or fast shifting. I know the rubber bushing makes it more vague as well since they gotta squeeze so many gears in there and that shifter is so short. Im thinking the taller shifter will actually make it easier to hit the gear just right.

You have to get used to the gates. They are very narrowly spaced...it takes time. If you want to try this shifter knob, let me know. It feels a bit strange at first, but you tend to grab it with your whole hand, which makes it easier to guide into gear. Also, the height helps.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread