Suggestions for a daily beater

Last

Established Member
Anyone have any good suggestions on a good daily beater?

The budget will be anywhere from $6,000-$8,000.

Heres kinda what I want out of it, something that could be fun besides just taking it to work. So it would be something like a little 4x4 or something fast, but the REAL criteria would be

Over 20mpg.
Relatively easy to maintain.
Cheap to insure.

I had my eye out for either a 4x4 5speed 4 cylinder Toyota tacoma, or maybe even an SVO mustang. Any suggestions?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
A Honda Civic SI Sedan would be my vote.
Reliable, fast, great on gas, good resale value and a comfy loaded interior with all the creature comforts for the daily commute.
When and if my 92 Accord daily driver dies I will definitely be replacing it with a Civic SI sedan.

Last edited:

ncpower08

Established Member
1986 FORD bronco 2. That is what I have as a beater. I love that truck. The day we got it we Rinolined the hell out of the whole thing.

itSSlow98

Established Member
If your thinking a 2002 or newer tacoma you probably wont find a nice one for 6-8k those things hold their value like crazy. I bought a $500 94 accord with under 100k miles, put 1000 into it and drive that. If its just a beater thats all i dedicate it to. When you try to have best of both worlds it never goes as planned.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If your thinking a 2002 or newer tacoma you probably wont find a nice one for 6-8k those things hold their value like crazy. I bought a $500 94 accord with under 100k miles, put 1000 into it and drive that. If its just a beater thats all i dedicate it to. When you try to have best of both worlds it never goes as planned.

This. My beater is a 97 Acura CL. w/ 230k on the clock. Nice reliable still a Honda so cheap and simple too.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
03 hyundai elantra GT sedan with a 5spd. very very easy to maintain, great gas mileage, very cheap on insurance and is a blast if you get the GT package which comes with leather seats and alloy wheels.

i added a few minor things to mine but in total i spent less than $4k total on the car. ill try to post a pic if i can. my work trys to block everything possible.

you can normally find them around $2500 in great shape with low miles too!

EDIT* here is my car, its a little dented and worn
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/elantragls.jpg/

Last edited:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
1G Talon TSi. Turbo, AWD. High 20's mpg. Definitely fun. Can wheel with any 4x4 I run into on the mountain, or even out-wheel them. Reliable. Maintainence is cake.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
if you're looking for a tacoma my dad has a 2004 or so 4 cyl. 4wd he is debating on selling it has 122k miles looks pretty much brand new and runs well, he takes very good care of his cars..

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Focus? I have 2009 ses coupe 5sp and i love it. Decent speed for 145 hp, great gas milage. I average 35mpg in the mountains. Went to myrtle beach and hand calculated 44mpg down there and 41mpg back. Plenty of room, im 6'2" and have been in every seat front and back with no complaint. Nice gadgets, good trunk space, and they are getting to be around the 8,000 range.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Focus? I have 2009 ses coupe 5sp and i love it. Decent speed for 145 hp, great gas milage. I average 35mpg in the mountains. Went to myrtle beach and hand calculated 44mpg down there and 41mpg back. Plenty of room, im 6'2" and have been in every seat front and back with no complaint. Nice gadgets, good trunk space, and they are getting to be around the 8,000 range.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BEATER RACE! what part of virginia you in? :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread