Sucking oil from the passenger side valve cover into the intake tube.....

ExBlackCoupe

Established Member
It's a high mileage stock 96 Cobra, and I have a replacement 327 on the stand for it but I want to make this one live until the winter.

The issue I'm having is that I'm getting a LOT of oil into the intake from the passenger side valve cover (I'm assuming excess blow by is causing it) and I'd like to curb it if possible.

Every catch can I'm seeing for the 96-98 Cobra indicates a drivers side (where the PCV is) installation but nothing for the passenger side. Currently there is a hose that runs from a grommet in the valve cover to the intake tube, should there be a mesh screen like the old 5.0 pushrod motors had in the back side of the intake?

Any suggestions as to how to mitigate the issue are appreciated.

railroad

Established Member
Most catch cans, I have seen are for the PS. You can use a moisture separator for air compressors. Just cut the PCV hose and splice the separator in. They are flow direction specific and you may have to buy 2 barb fittings. The cup size will dictate how often you empty it.
Until the new engine, run some 15w-40 or 20w-50, until cold weather gets there.

ExBlackCoupe

Established Member
Most catch cans, I have seen are for the PS. You can use a moisture separator for air compressors. Just cut the PCV hose and splice the separator in. They are flow direction specific and you may have to buy 2 barb fittings. The cup size will dictate how often you empty it.

Thanks for the response.

There is no PCV on the passenger side, not sure if there SHOULD be or not but if so it's missing. When I looked online for catch cans / separators for the 96 - 98 Cobra everything comes up as Drivers Side only. The 99 up seem to have Passenger Side set ups and I thought about modifying one of those.

I'll give the heavier weight oil a try and see if it helps.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You can make catch cans for both sides. Or plug off the lines at the intake and run breathers. You can even run a remote catch can breather set up like a lot of race cars do.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You can make catch cans for both sides. Or plug off the lines at the intake and run breathers. You can even run a remote catch can breather set up like a lot of race cars do.

Stampede!!! How's it hanging brother. It's Badass98svt from 10+ years ago. I see you and Tabres are still around. Not too many others though.

jmsa540

Established Member
Flow direction specific.

I have a steeda one, which hose connects to which side? Does it really matter since the pressure is equalized on both hoses?

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

railroad

Established Member
They do not work under pressure. They use manifold vacuum. The other end, usually on the valve cover or to crankcase vent source. There might be an arrow on the catch can or something in the directions to indicate direction the air should be moving. It will move from the valve cover to the intake. If still not clear, put your thumb over the end of the line and have someone start the engine.
I guess the simplest design would work, not efficiently, without air flow direction. If the oil laden air has to make a turn the oil, some of it, will fall out of the air and accumulate in the container.

Users who are viewing this thread