Subwoofer wiring???

sikwitit36

Banned
If I got 2 subs with dual coils and I run them to a 2 channel amp what is this setup?

I got the +/- from one subwoofer running to the Left + on the amp terminal and then for the other subwoofer I have the +/- running to the Right - on the amp terminal. Now that is bridged if Im not mistaken. But what ohms is this? If its not already 2 ohms how can I wire it different to get it at 2 ohms?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Check out sounddomain. They have a sub wiring demo where you put in the # of VC's, amp channels and subs and it'll tell you how to wire for whatever ohm you want.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Last edited:

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
sikwitit36 said:
If I got 2 subs with dual coils and I run them to a 2 channel amp what is this setup?

I got the +/- from one subwoofer running to the Left + on the amp terminal and then for the other subwoofer I have the +/- running to the Right - on the amp terminal. Now that is bridged if Im not mistaken. But what ohms is this? If its not already 2 ohms how can I wire it different to get it at 2 ohms?
is the amp stable at 2 ohms? and what are the subs 2 or 4 ohm?

z06_23_45

Established Member
You can either run them in parallel or in series. What impedance are the subs?
You'd really want to go with a Class D Monoblock, but that's ok. Also post the specs of the amp, so we can beter help you.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
z06_23_45 said:
You can either run them in parallel or in series. What impedance are the subs?
You'd really want to go with a Class D Monoblock, but that's ok. Also post the specs of the amp, so we can beter help you.
the amp I recomend is the D7402 :thumbsup:

z06_23_45

Established Member
Big Vito said:
the amp I recomend is the D7402 :thumbsup:

That is a nice "cheater" amp, but I personally like Memphis or JL Audio, depending on your budget.

KoOnStEr

White Knuckle Driving
Established Member
Run your amp at the lowest resistance you can!! Heres how I've done mine!!

Got a Phoenix Gold Class D amp which runs at a 1000 watts rms @2ohms...
For this I wired the amp bridged then the +/- goes to my first sub and from my first sub the +/- goes the my other sub!!

Find the resistance of your 2 subwoofers to make ur wiring to go for lowest resistance to your amplifer!!

Parallel Wiring = 1/(1/4ohm (sub 1) + 1/4ohm (sub2))*-¹ = Resistance your going to run ur sub to the amp!!!

z06_23_45

Established Member
KoOnStEr said:
Run your amp at the lowest resistance you can!! Heres how I've done mine!!

Got a Phoenix Gold Class D amp which runs at a 1000 watts rms @2ohms...
For this I wired the amp bridged then the +/- goes to my first sub and from my first sub the +/- goes the my other sub!!

Find the resistance of your 2 subwoofers to make ur wiring to go for lowest resistance to your amplifer!!

Parallel Wiring = 1/(1/4ohm (sub 1) + 1/4ohm (sub2))*-¹ = Resistance your going to run ur sub to the amp!!!

Not necessarily, you want to run it as low as it can handle. Yes it will put out more power, but you're making the amp work harder the lower you run it. Also, you want to make sure not to underpower your amp, as this can cause damage to it.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
z06_23_45 said:
Never mind. I was thinking about another amp. Either way, I like Memphis or JL Audio.
thats cool, I will sit here confused :lol1:

KoOnStEr

White Knuckle Driving
Established Member
Well more resistance ya run into your amp the more it heats up!!
Thats what I said... run it as low as possible... like mine is 2 ohm full power... and I run it at that resistance!!

But my formula was an example how to calculate ur resistance to run at the amp if ppl didn't know how!

KoOnStEr

White Knuckle Driving
Established Member
Do you know how to calculate with the formula or not??

Cause I never said anything about running 1 ohm into a 4 ohm amp... it's just gonna blow buddy... I've installed my sound system myself and theres 8 speakers in my stang... nutn shorted or fried in there yet and I all calculated it myself!!

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
KoOnStEr said:
Do you know how to calculate with the formula or not??

Cause I never said anything about running 1 ohm into a 4 ohm amp... it's just gonna blow buddy... I've installed my sound system myself and theres 8 speakers in my stang... nutn shorted or fried in there yet and I all calculated it myself!!
Somebody give this guy a cookie :rollseyes

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
go to here and learn :thumbsup: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=127
sikwitit36 said:

z06_23_45

Established Member
JL Audio amps are the shit. They run the same wattage in a certain impedance range. This is pretty freaking amazing.

sikwitit36

Banned
The subs are 2 ohm DVC with 400 rms watts per coil. The amp is rated at 550rms x 1 at 4ohm, or 275rms x 2 at 2ohm.

So i know its capable of being able to handle 2 ohms, but my question is how to wire them correctly so i can receive the most power out of my amp without damaging anything?

Oh and before anyone says anything like get yourself a new amp your subs are underpowerd blah blah blah... I already know. The amp was given to me and brand new. So til I get some more scrilla Im going to have to stick with a underpowered system.

Last edited:

KoOnStEr

White Knuckle Driving
Established Member
Well this is a simple wiring!!!

Take one sub and hook it to one of your channels on ur amplifier Then your other sub on your other channel! This will be the way that ur amp will produce full power and it's gonna be safe!!

Users who are viewing this thread