Subwoofer Installation

chocolatehammer

Established Member
The other day I was looking at the trunk of my car to see if I could fit a couple subwoofers in there. However I only have 11 inches of vertical clearance in the the far back of the trunk near the seats. I can see on the bottom side of the rear deck that there are two small amps mounted, assumably part of the mach 460 system for the 2 rear speakers. But between these two amps there is a plastic casing, with 4 deep screw holes in it, what is this plastic casing and what is in it? it would be convenient if I could remove this as it would free up a lot more vertical clearance, but im not sure what function it serves.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I had 2 10" subwoofers in the back of my old cobra. I purchased the boxes off ebay and they fit perfectly. Tucked nicely in both sides of the trunk. sounded awesome too. I'll dig up what seller I got them from and get back to you.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a pic of a simple box I made for my last stang. I still use it in my Cobra too, just don't have any newer pics.

It's a 12" Kicker Solobaric sub in a sealed 1 cubic foot enclosure (the exact specs for the sub are .88)

subbox.jpg

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
i'll get pics of mine. i have two soundstream 12's. won three first places with this set up. two subs one amp. didn't have to remove anything. i'll post pics up, or you can pm me ur email, and i'll send the pics direct.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Here are some pics of my past setups..

First setup

2 12 kicker l7's (boxes will fit, you have to pull the spare out to get them in, then you can squeese the spare back in)

2 soundstream amps,, (one took two 4 gauge power inputs, it was a wicked amp)

I built a false wall behind the seats to hide them when the seats were up.

2 sets of 6.5 kenwood components and a pioneer n1 indash.

DSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0836.jpg

I removed one of the subs and put in some kenwood amps under a rear seat delete to save weight.

img1242161731164.gif

DSCF1341.jpg

kevin_7.gif

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Tell me that's not a bungee cord I see holding the sub back.

It does look that way. There were brackets securing the box to the rear seat delete.

The bungie I would loop through the tool case to the left so it wouldnt slide around.

chocolatehammer

Established Member
Cookieman, I like the setup with the 2 12's that looks great, what kind of box are you using? The problem is I have 2 10's in a Q-Logic box I bought for a fox body, but they just wont fit with the clearance in the cobra, havent tried taking the spare out though, thats an interesting idea. I'm thinking I may just have to get a different box.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I wish I could remember the brand of the box. I got it at BestBuy when I worked for the install shop there.

Yeah, leave the carpet in, pull the spare tire, the cardboard cover, and the trunk latch.

Then slide it in place and reinstall them.

Users who are viewing this thread