Subframe Install Need question answered ASAP...

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
I got MM subs this week, and a local guy said he can install them for me but he wants to jack my car up and do it on the ground. I was under the impression that you MUST install subs with the car on a muffler shop style lift so the weight is on the wheels. Is this correct?

It doesn't make sense doing it with the car on jackstands because the chassis could be twisted and installing subs like that would just secure the chassis while it's twisted.

EDIT: He said he's gonna put the stands under the front A-Arms and the Rear Axle i assume this will work fine?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
do NOT let him do the install. find a performance shop or someone with welding experience and access to a lift. as has been said the weight needs to be on the wheels

Boosted0range

Established Member
on my old 95 gt that i had subframes on....before i knew how to install them the "correct" way , we welded them on while using a regular lift...with the wheels hanging....never had an ounce of trouble out of them, and they made a very noticible difference in the way the car handled...so, yes try and get someone who has a "muffler lift" to do it...but in my case, they turned out just fine using a regular style lift.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
can be done without the proper lift. My guy was able to get enough weld on all four corners of my MM full lengths while the car was on the ground before putting it on the lift to finish the job. My car is low and drags the longtubes on small bumps. We all know how flimsy fox chasis are too. Came out perfectly and everything is straight as an arrow. The guy i go to for weld jobs is VERY good and expensive though.

0627091157.jpg

0627091157a.jpg

0627091158.jpg

0627091158a.jpg

0627091158b.jpg

0627091158c.jpg

0627091159.jpg

96S/Cobra

Established Member
So is the method with the jack stands under the A-arms and rear axle a no go?

This is a PERFECTLY acceptable way of installing the sfc.

Having all of the car's weight supported by the front a arms and rear axle is the same as having all of the weight on the tires.

Now if you had four jack stands supporting the car by the frame with the suspension "unloaded" and hanging down, then NO this would not be a good idea.

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
do NOT let him do the install. find a performance shop or someone with welding experience and access to a lift. as has been said the weight needs to be on the wheels

I understand the weight NEEDS to be on the wheels and i am planning on telling him im gonna take it somewhere that can do it on a muffler style lift with the car on its wheels.

But how is the method with the jack stands under the control arms and rear axle not essentially placing the weight in the same place as it would be if the wheels were on the ground?

No jacks or stands will be supporting the chassis ONLY on the front A-Arms and at the ends of the rear axle.

Reason is this guy has done a TON of subframes for people in our local Oklahoma Mustang Club and came HIGHLY recommended, and i want to know if he's been doing them all wrong the whole time so others will not suffer the same fate.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
I understand the weight NEEDS to be on the wheels and i am planning on telling him im gonna take it somewhere that can do it on a muffler style lift with the car on its wheels.

But how is the method with the jack stands under the control arms and rear axle not essentially placing the weight in the same place as it would be if the wheels were on the ground?

No jacks or stands will be supporting the chassis ONLY on the front A-Arms and at the ends of the rear axle.

Reason is this guy has done a TON of subframes for people in our local Oklahoma Mustang Club and came HIGHLY recommended, and i want to know if he's been doing them all wrong the whole time so others will not suffer the same fate.

as mentioned already, you dont need a drive on lift dude. there are several ways of doing this and im sure your guy who has a good rep knows what he is doing. If all his customers had doors that didnt close right then he wouldnt have such good feedback. your just being paranoid

98SVTslobra

Established Member
get the drive on style ramps, place one under each tire, suspension would be loaded as it would be on the ground or a drive on lift, weld them up and enjoy:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread