Subframe connectors

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Guys if i would buy the full length latter on what are the modification that is needed to install them. I called my local muffler shop and they told me they only would weld and not modify also, do the regular ones feel the same as the full length. thanks guys.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Probably no responses because your post is difficult to read. I recommend you only weld subframes on.

Vigilante

Established Member
Seems to me like you need to PIIHB otherwise it will end up looking like a Pontiac Solstice:shrug:?

Seriously, that paragraph needs fixing.

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Sorry guys really was in a hurry should of read before posting. What i was trying to say is that, i just ordered the mm full length subframes but, it says that the 96-98 cobras need some type of modifications. My local muffler shop said they would not do any modifications, i think it was something to do with the tranny cant remember sorry guys thanks.

Last edited:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
They have to modify the transmission crossmember (I think thats what it was). My mechanic really didn't have a hard time doing it.

Last edited:

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
oh so its not that big of a deal, i just hope they dont make a big deal if not ill just go to another place, what is the usual price they charge to install.

Helomech74

Established Member
Here is a picture of what needs to be cut.

Crossmembermod.gif

You need to remove the green shaded areas with a cutting wheel, plasma cutter, or whatever in order for the subframe connector to sit against the subframe. You will then weld the subframe connector and transmission crossmember mounts together.

A word of caution, if you ever plan to install a T56, or maybe an Auto swap or whatever, you will not be able to unbolt your crossmember mounts and move them as needed because they are now welded to the subframe connectors. I have had to cut out subframe connectors before when people wanted to do a T56 swap so we could move the mounts. Just keep that in mind for future reference.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
Here is a picture of what needs to be cut.

Crossmembermod.gif

You need to remove the green shaded areas with a cutting wheel, plasma cutter, or whatever in order for the subframe connector to sit against the subframe. You will then weld the subframe connector and transmission crossmember mounts together.

A word of caution, if you ever plan to install a T56, or maybe an Auto swap or whatever, you will not be able to unbolt your crossmember mounts and move them as needed because they are now welded to the subframe connectors. I have had to cut out subframe connectors before when people wanted to do a T56 swap so we could move the mounts. Just keep that in mind for future reference.

Great info, are there shorter subs available specifically for 96-98?

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
It's not shorter that will make it fit. The trans cross member is IN the way of the subframe connectors. Just chop off the sides and get it welded to the connectors. You can remove the trans by unbolting the cross member with it's 2 bolts

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's always really irritated me the way they mounted the transmission crossmember on these cars to the subframe, rather than making fixed mounts in the trans tunnel like they did in years previous and years following our cars...

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Thanks bro that doesnt look difficult at all for the muffler shop to do, i guezz they were just being lazy. Im also going to see if they can check for a exhaust leak cause cars sounds a little hissing from inside when at throttle. thanks

Helomech74

Established Member
It's always really irritated me the way they mounted the transmission crossmember on these cars to the subframe, rather than making fixed mounts in the trans tunnel like they did in years previous and years following our cars...

Actually all Mustangs had a transmission crossmember mount similar to ours all the way back to 79. The big difference with the 96-98 mounts is that they are bolted to the subframe as opposed to welded like on earlier cars. They changed to the newer style in 99. I have already changed one of my cars to a 99+ style mount because I was tired of having issue with my 3" exhaust and collectors hitting the crossmember. I found a wrecked 01 GT and cut out the transmission tunnel, took it home drilled the spot welds holding the mounts to the tunnel, located them to my car and welded them in. I still need to do it with my 98 Cobra, but I need to find another droner car first.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Actually all Mustangs had a transmission crossmember mount similar to ours all the way back to 79. The big difference with the 96-98 mounts is that they are bolted to the subframe as opposed to welded like on earlier cars. They changed to the newer style in 99. I have already changed one of my cars to a 99+ style mount because I was tired of having issue with my 3" exhaust and collectors hitting the crossmember. I found a wrecked 01 GT and cut out the transmission tunnel, took it home drilled the spot welds holding the mounts to the tunnel, located them to my car and welded them in. I still need to do it with my 98 Cobra, but I need to find another droner car first.

I stand corrected. I could have sworn I saw a 94-95 car with the transmission mounts in the trans tunnel just like on the newer cars...

Helomech74

Established Member
Well shit, will there be any problems removing the T45 with this installed? or just the T56 because It uses a different x-member?

The T56 uses the same crossmember as the t45 in our cars (99+ uses different crossmembers), the only difference is that the Crossmember frame rail mounts need to be moved. That's why I said if you plan on installing a T56 later on, then you would need to cut the subframe connectors out to move the mounts. The frame rail mount pieces in the picture about need to move forward slightly on the T56. The crossmember is the same. There is no difficulty removing the T45 or any other transmission for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread