Subframe connector install

SVT04

Established Member
We installed subframe connectors on my sons 94 GT. Next comes my 04 Cobra. I'm a welder so away we go !
We wanted a good subframe connector without having it hang too low (our cars are both lowered) so I went out and bought some 1" x 2" x .125 wall rectangular tubing. We fabbed them up by tacking them together under the car ,finished welding them,and then painting and welding them to the car.
We welded them on with the car sitting on jack stands with the suspension loaded just as if it were sitting on it's wheels. That way everything stayed straight.
We also used some 1" square tubing and put jacking rails on too. Of course they are tied to a cross brace bolted to the rear of the front seats.
We wanted to paint them a light grey,but the paint ended up looking almost white. The can said light grey :lol:
Let us know what you think, they turned out pretty good and the car is much tighter now in stiffness.
subframeconnectors015hq8.jpg
[/IMG]
subframeconnectors014rt7.jpg
[/IMG]
subframeconnectors017wz8.jpg
[/IMG]
subframeconnectors022vm5.jpg
[/IMG]
subframeconnectors025su0.jpg
[/IMG]
subframeconnectors027jx8.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

01vert

Established Member
Did you weld in a reinforcement plagte where the main tube was cut and angled? Most have this now as it seems like a weak spot

SVT04

Established Member
Thanks guys,it was a piece of cake for me as I have been a welder/fabricator (and for the last 10 years a full time Welding Instructor) all my life. Recently bought a little Miller 135 amp Mig welder and went at it.

I thought that $100.00 worth of material to do subframe connectors on 2 Mustangs was pretty reasonable. It took about 4 hours of work to do my sons 94 GT.:burnout:

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
01vert said:
Did you weld in a reinforcement plagte where the main tube was cut and angled? Most have this now as it seems like a weak spot

Actually no, as I left a gap of 1/8" and with the 1/8" wall thickness got a full penetration weld there. Full strength ,should be no problem. :burnout:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
tell me how you loaded the suspension with jack stands.

IF i can figure that out, i can weld my own subframs in as well.

nice work.

thanks

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
MachME said:
tell me how you loaded the suspension with jack stands.

IF i can figure that out, i can weld my own subframs in as well.

nice work.

thanks

Look at the picture...... CLOSER..

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
lmao, i didnt even see those blocks.

Thats a good idea, jack the car up and place it on blocks.

Works for me!

other wise ill have to pay, 175 bucks :(

thanks

SVT04

Established Member
MachME said:
lmao, i didnt even see those blocks.

Thats a good idea, jack the car up and place it on blocks.

Works for me!

other wise ill have to pay, 175 bucks :(

thanks

Yes , on the rear as the GT is a solid axle car we just put 2 - 6 ton jack stands under the axle. We used 2 low profile floor jacks on the front under the lower control arms. When the rear is up on jack stands you have to slide the jacks in under the lower control arms of the front suspension from behind the front wheel. Took it as high as we could then put the front wheels on 2 piles of 2x6 boards.

Then with a 2x6 under the jacks, up a little more and it was high enough to put 2 of the curved blocks you can buy at the building supply store for making fire pits under each wheel. They are solid concrete so plenty safe. The car sat very nicely this way and there was just enough room to get around under it to weld.

Quite a challenge getting a lowered car up like that but it was easier than we thought.

For my 04 Cobra we will just lift it up and set all 4 wheels on the blocks ...plenty room to get under and work. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread