Subaru wrx for a daily

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting a 2021 Subaru WRX as a daily driver. I drive 50mi round trip to work everyday and the Ford Ranger I'm currently driving gets about 21 miles per gallon and with 225,000mi it's sort of a dog on the highway. I'm looking at the WRX because it gets fairly good mileage, quick for what it is and most people say they are fun to drive.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Don't expect it to get much better than the ranger MPG if you plan on having any fun in it. With a light foot and no fun it's rated at 27 highway, once you get into boost that drops dramatically. My ST rated at 31 highway and 90% of my driving is highway, but I average 25-26 mpg because when I'm not on the highway I'm in boost having fun lol.

Not trying to persuade you from buying one because they are fun cars I just don't think MPG should be your deciding factor.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I figure that AWD is going to cut into the MPGs at 70+mph.
Hell...my pea shooter 2.7 F150 averaged 28.3 last week on a 100-mile highway jaunt.
RS hung around 24.5-26mpg.
Cobb stage 1 tuned Focus ST got me 29-31mpg when I drove it nicely.
I can get 32 with our FBO Fiesta too.

Not that it's got to be a Ford...just sharing my experiences from the MPG standpoint. Someone on here just got a new Mazda 3 that looked pretty sharp. Granted it's auto, but makes decent power and probably respectable fuel economy. The interior and tech is supposed to be top notch too.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Don't expect it to get much better than the ranger MPG if you plan on having any fun in it. With a light foot and no fun it's rated at 27 highway, once you get into boost that drops dramatically. My ST rated at 31 highway and 90% of my driving is highway, but I average 25-26 mpg because when I'm not on the highway I'm in boost having fun lol.

Not trying to persuade you from buying one because they are fun cars I just don't think MPG should be your deciding factor.
Yeah I figured when playing around it's going to fall off. I'm getting 21 in the Ranger on the highway at 65-70 so the WRX has got to be better. I'm also wanting something fun for a daily so miles per gallon isn't the be all end all.

I appreciate your input that's why I posted this I want to hear what people have to say. The ST is a similar car so that is cool to know.

40th GT

Established Member
I also think the ST will fit your needs better.
I'll give another vote for the Mazda 3 too. The hatchbacks are available in manual but that's a $34k car. The sedans are a few thousand less and available in turbo AWD if that's what you're after. Still rated at 23-32mpg with the heavier drivetrain. Unlike the WRXs these have automatics with gears which I think is a huge factor.

robvas

Established Member
WRX is a buzzy little tin can that I wouldn't want to spend an hour a day in. Shit, my Grand Cherokee gets 23mpg highway.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I also think the ST will fit your needs better.
I'll give another vote for the Mazda 3 too. The hatchbacks are available in manual but that's a $34k car. The sedans are a few thousand less and available in turbo AWD if that's what you're after. Still rated at 23-32mpg with the heavier drivetrain. Unlike the WRXs these have automatics with gears which I think is a huge factor.
I have a ST and it's not a bad car. Definitely the best handling vehicle I've ever been in. It's just wrong wheel drive with too many doors and not enough cylinders. Turbo noises and the hks blow off valve will be missed when it's gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I’d want an auto if I’m in stop and go traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
WRX is a buzzy little tin can that I wouldn't want to spend an hour a day in.
This is something I noticed too. 2013 STi Limited...$36k car...close the door and the whole vehicle rings like a tuning fork.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I know there are better options out there but at 30k it is pretty affordable. I'm trying to balance fun and affordable, I still have my mustang and I also have a 72 Chevelle that still needs some money thrown at it.
I don't mind the manual transmission pretty much everything I've had has been manual. Most of my work commute is on the highway anyway.
The Ford Focus ST is something I thought about getting some years ago but financially it wasn't a good time. and now it's gone.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The leather Recaro seats in the Focus ST3 were pretty nice. 5'10 ~200lbs
The Recaros in the Fiesta are a little snug and my lower back starts to ache after about an hour.
WRX would very likely be more comfortable in that regard. I haven't driven one newer than a '13 so I can't comment on a new one.
GTI or a gently used Golf R could be another option if VW is acceptable.
Veloster N (or whatever it is)? Kinda goofy looking, but supposed to perform well from what I gather.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 2018 I got it brand new. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I had to get rid of it because I needed a truck for work and couldn’t afford both vehicles. What started out as something I was going to leave stock turned in to a full bolt on E85 car. It was tuned by revworks in Orlando. Car had a full MAP exhaust, MAP intake, IMRC delete, Catless J pipe, Turbo XS FMIC and Tial BOV. H&R springs and Cobb handheld with E85 sensor kit. Car made 400whp and 400 awtq. We turned it down from there to 400/370 for longevity. it was so much fun.

4a20bb8ab348a51565c954b89d67b1bc.jpeg

3753c3daaa97fe841da31422568533de.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
The leather Recaro seats in the Focus ST3 were pretty nice. 5'10 ~200lbs
The Recaros in the Fiesta are a little snug and my lower back starts to ache after about an hour.
WRX would very likely be more comfortable in that regard. I haven't driven one newer than a '13 so I can't comment on a new one.
GTI or a gently used Golf R could be another option if VW is acceptable.
Veloster N (or whatever it is)? Kinda goofy looking, but supposed to perform well from what I gather.
I have looked at the GTI and Golf R, I like both. I had a Veloster as a rent car once not the N just a regular but it's a goofy looking car and the name sounds stupid. The WRX was updated in 2015 so it is different but how much vs the 13 I don't know.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I had a 2018 I got it brand new. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I had to get rid of it because I needed a truck for work and couldn’t afford both vehicles. What started out as something I was going to leave stock turned in to a full bolt on E85 car. It was tuned by revworks in Orlando. Car had a full MAP exhaust, MAP intake, IMRC delete, Catless J pipe, Turbo XS FMIC and Tial BOV. H&R springs and Cobb handheld with E85 sensor kit. Car made 400whp and 400 awtq. We turned it down from there to 400/370 for longevity. it was so much fun.

4a20bb8ab348a51565c954b89d67b1bc.jpeg

3753c3daaa97fe841da31422568533de.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh man that's cool! Impressive power from a 2.0. How did you like it in stock form? From what I've been looking at for the price it's hard to beat. I wish Mitsubishi still made the Evo cars I always thought the later model looked cool.

Users who are viewing this thread