Stupid question on MAF.

Bobrammer

Established Member
I'm getting an erratic idle, so I thought the MAF sensor might be coated with oil from the K & N. I've heard you should clean it, but have no idea what I'm looking for. Would somebody please help a rookie out? Thanks in advance!

ALA G8R

Banned
If you look inside the MAF housing you will see the sensor protruding. Two wires make up the MAF sensor. They can become fouled due to the oil from a K&N. They may or may not appear fuzzy.

Electonic parts cleaner will do the trick. I have used CRC Letra-Motive cleaner in the past. Bought it at Autozone.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Also, when was the last time you cleaned the filter? I thought my MAF was dirty also, but it turned out to be the filter. I was amazing how much crap came off of that thing that I didnt see untill I cleaned it. The engine idles perfectly now.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
In another thread it was stated that it is important to use a degreaser that leaves no residue and is safe for plastic.

I was having an erratic idle the last couple weeks, so I sprayed the sensor in mine last night, but it did not seem to help with the idle.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
cigarette lighter fluid is cheap and works great!:-D

Users who are viewing this thread