Stuffing the 6.8 V10 in a 99 Cobra

CobraMan99

Established Member
Just wanted to say hi to everyone cause im new here. Awhile back I read about a 97 mustang GT that had a 6.8 V10 mod motor in it... The guy used 4.6 mounts in it..Anyone know if i can squeeze it into my stang of course it would be worked over for better power..But can it be done? If so let me know cause i liked the idea and it would be one hell of a shock to the GM kids..

Thanks ..:eek:

CobraMan99

Established Member
Sweeeet...thanks...i have a question for you..do you think its worth it? and taking out my 4V? i do like my little 4.6 but its not gonna make the power i want without adders...ill eventually add something but i wanted a bigger start if ya know what i mean..

thanks again..:rolling:

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Definitly don't do it if you are looking to get more money out of it at a later date (when and or if you sell).

Make the changes because you are going to keep the car and you want a unique car.. But remember you will be adding weight to the car so you might want to invest in a K-member if you take this swap on.. You will be needing a few things more that you have already..

The good thing is that if you need extra cash to finish the project you can always put your 4.6 DOHC up for sale or eBay auction.. it will sell.

Things to think about.
Transmission T-56 or tremec TKO
Wiring harness and computer V10 truck parts
Will need a dyno tume.
Custom exhaust
May need to step up to a solid rear axle. Can swap with some one who has a GT that wants the IRS (99-02 GT).

Might want to email the person who owns the car above and see what they had to overcome with their swap.

Hope it works if you take this project on.

Later

CobraMan99

Established Member
Well originally i wanted to trade it in for a 03 cobra but when i went to the dealership they were out.
Then I really started thinking on how much I really have grown to love my car...
Since it is my first mustang Ive ever owned and a cobra at that. yeah I can honestly say that even if I got another chance to buy a 2003 I dont think i could part with my car.

Pretty sad huh?

So Im building it up, and im gonna keep the 4.6 cause my car is my daily driver and ill need it till im done with the whole thing and ill prolly keep the engine to and have some fun with building it up also..

but enough of me ranting and raving...Youve been a great help
thanks again...

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Not a problem. I try to help out when I can.

Bye the way it's not sad.. I enjoyed all my mustangs and never wated to part with any of them.. I will try to keep my 99 until I absolutely have no other choice but to part with it.

Later,
Matt

CobraMan99

Established Member
I planned on putting the T56 in my car but i really wanted to keep the car a road racing machine, cause ive never been a real big fan of the 1/4 mile..I find more thrills having a really high top end.

I know the V10 is alot of torque but I planed on building it up for more horses and maybe turbo or supercharge it..
Do you think that the IRS can rear handle the extra power with better axels and stronger parts?

Black Cobra

Established Member
Why screw up a perfectly good car? Sell the Cobra...find a GT for under $5000. Preferably one without the engine and transmission for even less money. Then sink $20K-$30K worth of mods into it.

CobraMan99

Established Member
I dont see it as screwing up a perfectly good car.. Im just putting in a different engine.. Im not hacking the whole car up to make it a dragster that you see at the races.
Its my daily driver and still will be my daily driver. Since the 4V lacks potential to make gobs of power like the LS1,think of it as making up for it.
Im still keeping the cobra engine but i putting more power under the hood.

So screwing it up..I beg to differ,Im just making something beautiful alot faster. Ilove my Cobra,Im not doing anything to ruin it. Just making the GM kids lives alot harder...

Is that so wrong? :shrug:

Black Cobra

Established Member
My point is one of economics. If you are going to do the job right, then you are looking at making similar changes that have been made to the 2003 Cobra. Stronger transmission (like the T-56), hardened yokes, high strength universsal joints, 31 spline half-shafts, beefed up IRS, increased clamping force for the clutch, wider wheels and tires, new exhaust. Re-tuning the suspension, which means replacing most of the suspension parts. You paid alot of money for SVT/SVE to modify a base Mustang for you. Why would anyone pay for all the custom parts that makes the Cobra what it is, only to turn around and replace those parts ? What you end up with is a $35K car that costs $55K. The "World's only V-10 Mustang" started life as a 1996 V6 mustang.

Also, I wasn't impressed by the 6.8 V-10's performance. "UPDATE: Had the car dyno'd recently and here are the results. 423 Rwhp and 628 Rwtq on (150 shot)NOS. Also ran the car at the track to the tune of a 12.5 @ 126 mph in 98* heat". "When we race her our shift points are 4500...so no strain is put on her". The Z06 can out run this car, I'm sure the 2003 Cobra can/will out run this car, and I'm sure that if you put a super charger on your engine...you could out run this car. This is not a performance engine. The 4500 rpm redline bothers me.

I think I'de look into a blower or maybe a stroker kit. I would definately choose an engine that has performance parts available for it.

Kar Kraft has over 300 engines in stock (4.6, 5.4, SC 5.4 Lightning, even your 6.8 V-10)
Kar Kraft - over 300 engines

Prewitt Racing has a Mod 4.6L that makes 450hp N/A and up to 650hp on NO2 or Blown. I think he also has stoker kits for $999 that will increase you cid from 4.6l (281 cid) to 327, 331, and 347.
Prewitt Racing - 4.6L 450hp n/a - other engines too.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
If you want to road race it, it's a bad idea to put an engine that big in it. Doing that will hurt the weight distribution badly and the car won't handle nearly as well.

CobraMan99

Established Member
When i was reading on blue oval news they said that the 5.4 4V will not fit in the 99 cobra body..is this true or has someone actually made it fit? The v10 does weigh less than the 5.0 and i was pretty sure they have performance parts for the engine,but then again i could be wrong.

What would you all recommend putting in my car for road racing? Ill probably supercharge any engine i put in my car.

As for a stroker kit,that kills the life of your engine. Once i make this investment I plan on having it around for awhile.

What do you all think about TDC turbo charger?
bad,good?

The reason I ask everyones opinion is because im sure there are plenty of people who know more than i do about performance upgrades for cobras.

Black Cobra

Established Member

CobraMan99

Established Member
Well im lookin to get 650-700 horses,without killing the engine..
I have this fascination about trying to reach 200 mph in my car!

im not the 1/4 type, Im not sure i can do that too easily with the 4.6 4V..how about the lightning motor supercharged?

Think im askin to much for a 200mph cobra?

CobraMan99

Established Member
went to the website but when i went to send and email i came up with some error, I tried a few times but no dice...im gonna have to figure another way to do it..

Lightning Bob

Established Member
Here is what I Did With My 99 Cobra

http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8482

The car is scary fast, and in the long run, probably cost me less to do than what you have proposed to do with yours. These 32 valve engines are capable of huge horsepower (500-600 RWHP). I would not add the extra weight of the V-10. It will ruin the handling charecteristics of your car. By the way, I had a new Lightning crate engine which I was originally going to stuff into the Cobra, but was advised by SVT engineers not to do so for the above reasons. I'm glad I listened to them.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do with yours.

Lightning Bob

Last edited:

CobraMan99

Established Member
with just engine alone? or supercharged? Dies that require a stroker kit?
The only reason i dont want to do a stroker kit is because it shortens the life of an engine by quite a bit. What kinda Hp can a LS1 put out? In virginia beach we have a decent amount of camaro's and they do anything that can be done to their engines and cars.. I need to keep up with the competition. Did I say keep up? Im sorry, I meant destroy.

:burn:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraMan99
. Since the 4V lacks potential to make gobs of power like the LS1,think of it as making up for it.

That is just plain wrong. 415 HP from a modular 5.0 bests even the newest Z06! Granted the LS1 is a good motor, just don't tell me the 4.6 lacks potential. You're just not looking in the right place.
The 5.4 32V motor will fit in a 99+ Cobra. Remember the 2000 Cobra R?

CobraMan99

Established Member
Still if a vette owner decided to upen up their engine and its curtains for me..the 4.6 4V lacks the potential of the Ls1..we have a few camaro owners in va beach and it looks like the only way im gonna beat them is supercharging while they are still running engine only..im trying to find an engine that ford makes that is better than an Ls1 to the point where i will get better horse and torque with mine than what they can with doing the same performance upgrades..I can go out and rebuild the 4V and do ungodly things to it to give it obscene HP but that will require alot of money...I rather find and engine that i can make the horses and still be somewhat easy on the wallet..But in the end regardless, I will win!!!
why? Cause im a ford man and im goin to make the cobra name so hated by all other competiters,that the very mention of the name Cobra,will make them cower in fear and run home to their mommies saying "please take the evil car away"
Supposedly the 5.4 DOHC is like an inch or so too wide for the 99 body. I can be wrong..I checked on blue oval and interview with a ford engineer said that it was even to wide..but i can stuff the 2v 5.4,but if the DOHC actually does fit..it may go im maybe not who knows, but thats the fun part about planning for war,experimenting and coming up with the weapons to destroy your enemy. :fm: :fm: :fm:
Sorry about all that,but im ex Army.
We get brainwashed like that.

P.S- Im gonna check up again and see if the 5.4 DOHC can be dropped in 99 cobra..

Users who are viewing this thread