Study: Comet may have killed dinos - Not asteroid

Dark02Pony

Established Member
Comet May Have Wiped Out Dinosaurs, Study Finds | Dinosaur Extinction | LiveScience

The rocky object that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago may have been a comet, rather than an asteroid, scientists say.

The 112-mile (180 kilometers) Chicxulub crater in Mexico was made by the impact that caused the extinction of dinosaurs and about 70 percent of all species on Earth, many scientists believe. A new study suggests the crater was probably blasted out by a faster, smaller object than previously thought, according to research presented this week at the 44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in The Woodlands, Texas.
Evidence of the space rock's impact comes from a worldwide layer of sediments containing high levels of the element iridium, dubbed the Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) boundary, which could not have occurred on Earth naturally.

The new research suggests the often-cited iridium values are incorrect, however. The scientists compared these values with levels of osmium, another element delivered by the impact.

Their calculations suggested the space rock generated less debris than previously thought, implying the space rock was a smaller object. In order for the smaller rock to have created the giant Chicxulub crater, it had to have been going exceedingly fast, the researchers concluded.

"How do we get something that has enough energy to generate that size of crater, but has much less rocky material? That brings us to comets," study author Jason Moore, a paleoecologist at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, told BBC News. [Meteor Crater: Experience an Ancient Impact]

Comets are balls of ice, dust and rocky particles that are distinguished from asteroids by their highly eccentric orbits and thin, fuzzy atmospheres, called comas or tails. The Chicxulub impact is more compatible with a long-period comet, the results indicated, which can take hundreds, thousands or sometimes millions of years to orbit the sun once.

It is possible that a rapidly moving asteroid could have caused the Chicxulub impact crater, the researchers said, but the fastest-moving objects that have been observed are mostly comets.

"I think it's some very interesting work," physicist Brandon Johnson of Purdue University, who was not involved in the research, told LiveScience. If the impact were in fact a comet, "it could change things quite a bit," he said – a comet would have rained down a lot more material than an asteroid.

But the findings are debatable: "There's a possibility that a lot of the impacted material could have been ejected at escape velocity, so we couldn't find it on Earth," Johnson said. This means the remnants of the impact could be just a fraction of the mass of the space rock, suggesting it could still have been an asteroid.

Geologist Gareth Collins of Imperial College London, U.K., agreed. "Geochemistry tells you — quite accurately — only the mass of meteoritic material that is distributed globally, not the total mass of the impactor," Collins told BBC News, adding, "To estimate the latter, one needs to know what fraction of the impactor was distributed globally, as opposed to being ejected to space or landing close to the crater."

The researchers suggest that 75 percent of the space rock's mass was distributed on Earth, Collins said, but he contends that it could have been less than 20 percent — an amount that could have come from a larger and slower asteroid. In response, the researchers point to studies that suggest the object lost an amount of mass consistent with their findings.

But geophysicist Jay Melosh, also of Purdue University, remains skeptical. "The evidence that they have for a high velocity impact is marginally positive. However, the probability that that high velocity impact is a comet is very low," he said, adding that it's much more likely to be a faster-than-usual asteroid.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I heard Jesus did it to make way for mankind. He knew adam and eve had no chance against a Raptor or TRex.

He then made the fossils show theyre millions of years old (as well as rocks and everything else) just to troll the scientists, which he made too because you cant have full street cred without a minority there to challenge your existence.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Either way, they suspect a big ass rock from space. Like the police saying, "ma'am your husband was run over by a Peterbilt truck!" and the final report was that he was hit by an F-350 turbo diesel.

oldmodman

Established Member
The impact was caused by an unfortunate math error on the part of the Second Reptilian Empire's Space Resource Program.

Very similar to our metric VS english computing error on several Mars probes.

However, we do owe our existence to their refusal to properly fund their space program.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Serious question: Why does it matter how they became extinct? I have a huge interest in dinosaurs don't get me wrong, but I truly DGAF how they all died almost simultaneously. What's the relative importance of confirming their cause of death?

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Serious question: Why does it matter how they became extinct? I have a huge interest in dinosaurs don't get me wrong, but I truly DGAF how they all died almost simultaneously. What's the relative importance of confirming their cause of death?

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Maybe in your past life you were Hitler's military adviser? :eek:

"No problem fighting the Russians in winter Sir!" :lol1:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Uhh so we can learn from it and see if its possible to happen again to us.

OK, but wouldn't that fall into the hands of NASA, who as of right now is very financially crippled?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. I'm not trying to nor am I trolling. I'm legitimately interested.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I worked with a guy that refused to believe in the fossil record and evolution took place! I learned quickly not to argue with devote creationists! This guy believed the Devil placed those bones there to trick men into denying God's existence, seriously! He told me they were dragon's bones! I stopped the conversation, at that point I was worried for my safety, his eyes were looking all weird and shit.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
This thread is fun of win! I still don't get how so many people believe in what to me seems to be a 2000yr old soap opera script instead of evolution. I'm all about evidence, and while I can't confirm or deny the existence of the people in any of those biblical stories, to me it's just like continuing to believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny (both of which oddly enough also have religious undertones) because so much is unrealistic. Burning bushes, chick created from dude's rib, talking snakes, incest all over the damn place. LOL

Planter

Banned
comet, asteroid, it's all the same. it's debris from outer space.

20 years from now, there will be a new study that says it used to be a mini-moon that orbited the 3rd moon of Saturn. :rollseyes

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OK, but wouldn't that fall into the hands of NASA, who as of right now is very financially crippled?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. I'm not trying to nor am I trolling. I'm legitimately interested.

Why should NASA be the only organization dedicated to anything that has to do with space?

NASA is financially crippled because we suck as a country and would rather fund shitty wars and line politicians pockets than propogate our species into space.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That's the beautiful thing about science. It's constantly disproves and corrects its self through studies and research throughout time, admitting error... However, the bible has never been incorrect... LOL

Kiohtee

Established Member
Why should NASA be the only organization dedicated to anything that has to do with space?

NASA is financially crippled because we suck as a country and would rather fund shitty wars and line politicians pockets than propogate our species into space.

I don't think NASA should be the only organization dedicated to anything space related, and that's not what I said. But I fully agree that we as a country have lost touch with what really matters.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Comet or asteroid, the dinosaurs were doomed...

If the same cataclysmic event were to repeat itself in this day and age--God help us all!

7.62x51

Established Member
Either way, I wish they were still around today. T-Rex would be quite the worthy opponent in big-game hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread