Stuck at 10psi!? Ideas??

Boozshey

Established Member
So I just slapped on a Snake Bite. I should be reading 17psi and instead am only showing 10psi. I talked with Steigmeier yesterday and they gave me a couple ideas. But they all failed.

Here is what I do know...

Upon inspecting the set up last night I noticed a line that came from the EGR valve on the passenger side over to the bypass valve on the driver side was disconnected. I connected it and was a little relieved. Jumped in the car and that didn't fix the problem.

The other setup difference that I have is I am not running the rear evap system. Is this connected to the blower in anyway that would allow boost to leak.

Looking at the diagram is shows that there is a PURGE valve. If this purge valve opens will it cause the air to just escape since I have nothing trapping it in the rear of the vehicle? I just don't know how it all works together.

Anyways, any ideas...

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
if you are using an in car gauge did you attach a secondary gauge under the hood to check it's not a bad gauge or leak in the line to the gauge? (KISS principle)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
<---- stole your boost too. I'm a serial boost stealer!

I made this picture for svtmadman, but a repost is in order!

hoodro.jpg

:D

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I have the snakebite & etc. I had this same issue. At first, I'd always pin the gauge to 15 PSI because I was making 18.5 PSI. Then one day, the gauge decided to shit out on me & was only going to 8 or 10 PSI. I got an afetrmarket gauges & found out I was still making the right amount of PSI. The stock mechanical gauge is only good for so much boost. Before I addressed the gauge being wrong issue, i replaced my belt & every other part thinking it was either belt slip or boost leak somwheres. Just get an aftermarket boost gauge & you'll be fine.

CPRsm

I have the snakebite & etc. I had this same issue. At first, I'd always pin the gauge to 15 PSI because I was making 18.5 PSI. Then one day, the gauge decided to shit out on me & was only going to 8 or 10 PSI.
Heehee, same problem here. 20 psi now shows some 9 on the gauge. Oops :D

Boozshey

Established Member
I will hook up my mechanical gauge tonight. But it's raining right now, hopefully it will clear up so I can take it for a run...

Boozshey

Established Member
Ok, hooked up a mechanical boost gauge that also shows vacuum. I was shoing 18-22psi of vacuum. It's still wet and rainy so I can't drive the car to check for leaks. However, while listening to everything I heard what sound like a leak coming from the EGR valve. This had been damaged during the motor swap and I just JB Welded it back together...

Could air leak from here? I am not sure how this piece works...

egr2.jpg

egr1.jpg

Boozshey

Established Member
One other thing I just noticed while looking at diagrams is it appears the hoses coming from the bypass valve are backwards.

The RED line is the factory way.
The BLUE line is the way they are right now.

Just went and looked and both the valves are on opposite sides of the valve. That leads me to believe the operate differently and them being swapped may be a bad thing. I swapped them around. Roads are still wet so I will have to wait till tomorrow.

bypass.jpg

Last edited:

Boozshey

Established Member
So aftermarket boost gauge is showing 15lbs now. It's really hot here in Florida so who knows what will happen under other conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread