STS Turbo Mustang Spoolin' it Up

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I know there are a lot of STS haters but I personally think it's a great setup and it's got great potential as long as it's tuned right. I plan on getting one once I get my financial situation cleared up. Only $3200+shipping for the universal kit, so it's pretty cheap, and it'll put me right at the power levels I'm looking to hit. It sounds AWESOME.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UV8dN3wfgY4

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
they do sound so sick1!!!! i had one on my 04 gto

Did you like it? I'm really planning on getting one in a year or so from now. I'm lookin' to hit around 360-370RWHP. I talked to one of the guys from there and they were great. They spent over 40 minutes with me answering all my questions. I was upset they didn't develop a kit for the new edge, the guy said that they might make one but that there is too much demand for other models right now and that it wouldn't be hard to fabricate the universal kit on my GT.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
$3200 is pretty cheap; but when it comes to efficiency those rear-mounted turbos suck compared to a conventional turbo setup. They do sound sweet though...:coolman:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
wow i never knew they were so cheap! very interesting. So how much power can those 3200 kits produce, taking into account you have a built shortblock to handle big power???

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
wow i never knew they were so cheap! very interesting. So how much power can those 3200 kits produce, taking into account you have a built shortblock to handle big power???

I think they are good for upto about 450-500RWHP, but maybe more. I'm not going to be building my bottem end, so I'll be keeping it under 400. I know that the universal kit I'm gonna get, I'll be throwing in about 6lbs and getting 360-380RWHP in return, which is damn good for only 6lbs. They produce more power lbs for lbs of boost because of the long piping going back to the intake acts like an intercooler, so the intake charge is insanely cooler than a traditional front mounted turbo.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
And how does this miracle occur.. :lol1:

Refer to last post. The entire setup runs way cooler. Lbs for lbs you make more power, but not many people are getting these to make huge power. There are a few people out there that are making big power, but most people go for the front mounted turbo's instead. All in all the STS can achieve a much cooler intake charge, especially if you throw an intercooler in the mix.

Check out the site for all the info on them. They are great setups for the money. Once you get into twins and huge power the price differences start to deminish and it becomes a diff strokes for diff folks kinda thing, but for smaller 500RWHP and under projects the price is so right.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Refer to last post. The entire setup runs way cooler. Lbs for lbs you make more power, but not many people are getting these to make huge power. There are a few people out there that are making big power, but most people go for the front mounted turbo's instead.

Even if it runs cooler, all the additional piping causes insane amounts of lag. With a front turbo setup you can easily run a large front mount intercooler without having to run additional piping all the way to the trunk of the car.

Check out this dyno graph from a 455ci LSX motor and STS kit..The STS design with a bigger turbo created a powerband you might see out of a 2.0L 4 cylinder.

peaky.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_0606_sf_standing_mile_gto

Now check out a traditional turbo dyno graph with a 427LSX motor..

DQFVO-LPE427TT7.5psi.JPG

That's only on 7.5lbs of boost on pump gas with wheel spin on the dyno. :uh oh: Even though it makes less power, just looking at the curve you can see how much more efficient a traditional turbo setup is.

You might have found a couple of intances where a rear-turbo setup made more power than a traditional, but there are a million different factors to consider. Condition of the motor, size of turbo, lbs of boost, tune, type of dyno, weather conditions, etc..

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
STS setups are extremely reliant on the tune and the quality of the install. A lot of people see low numbers and a lot of lag when it's not set up properly. Set up and tuned properly, there is hardly any lag. Full boost should be seen at 3kRPMS, otherwise something is wrong.

SSeatr

Established Member
They actually make more power lbs for lbs of boost.

i believe this is due to them being located out back theres less heat, from the engine the xhaust cools off a bit since its gotta travel a bit....cooler air means more HP duh lol

i would never get one, my car is low as it is why would i throw my turbos 4-6 inches off the ground, if theres any crap on the road its now on your turbos, nah ill stick with a front mount:banana:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
STS setups are extremely reliant on the tune and the quality of the install. A lot of people see low numbers and a lot of lag when it's not set up properly. Set up and tuned properly, there is hardly any lag. Full boost should be seen at 3kRPMS, otherwise something is wrong.

A STS kit phsycially has A LOT more piping, you're going to get a much larger pressure drop running a turbo at the end of 10 feet+ of exhaust piping. You can't overcome pyshics, a properly setup turbo that's underneath the hood will be more efficient everytime. It's almost like saying a larger turbo will somehow spool quicker or the same as a smaller one. :D

I agree for the money the rear-turbo setup is economical, but to say it would out perform a traditional turbo is :dw:.

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
A STS kit phsycially has A LOT more piping, you're going to get a much larger pressure drop running a turbo at the end of 10 feet+ of exhaust piping. You can't overcome pyshics, a properly setup turbo that's underneath the hood will be more efficient everytime. It's almost like saying a larger turbo will somehow spool quicker or the same as a smaller one. :D

I agree for the money the rear-turbo setup is economical, but to say it would out perform a traditional turbo is :dw:. Depending on the size of turbo you wouldn't even see full boost by 3K rpms with a traditional setup.

You might be surprised to know that the hellion turbo kit doesn't exactly have a short path to the turbo. There is a total of 32.66 feet of piping for the hellion kit...... and really, if you add it up, the STS kit "might" be a little shorter. No matter though, both kits are designed to bolt-in without modifications to the car..... Neither of these kits are purpose built race setups...... they are designed to fit into a package and offer "exceptional performance"....... which traditional setups such as hellion or PTK do, and also what STS does.

KrAzyT

Established Member
what about when its near impossible to fit one up front. I know in the tbirds there is barely room to get to the oil filter.. just adding my .02 ;)

Allen2001GT

Established Member
sounds sick, but have to say i'm glad i went with front mount only because i was building the thing and it was not a premade kit. that was my decision maker.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You might be surprised to know that the hellion turbo kit doesn't exactly have a short path to the turbo. There is a total of 32.66 feet of piping for the hellion kit...... and really, if you add it up, the STS kit "might" be a little shorter. No matter though, both kits are designed to bolt-in without modifications to the car..... Neither of these kits are purpose built race setups...... they are designed to fit into a package and offer "exceptional performance"....... which traditional setups such as hellion or PTK do, and also what STS does.

Hellion
0605mmfp_26z+2004_Ford_Mustang_SVT_Cobra+Engine.jpg

0605mmfp_16z+2004_Ford_Mustang_SVT_Cobra+_Intermediate_Pipe.jpg

STS on a 99 GT
m5lp_0607_10z+1999_ford_mustang_gt_turbo_installation+.jpg

m5lp_0607_17z+1999_ford_mustang_gt_turbo_installation+.jpg

I understand what you're saying about it being a nice "bolt-on" kit for the money, but there seems to be at least 3 times as much piping used in the STS kit vs Hellion, (including intercooler piping). I wouldn't compare the two, the hellion is way more efficient than the STS kit IMO.

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I'm obviously not running an STS kit, but I wanted to point out that these bolt on kits were using are not exactly what you'd call optimal when it comes to maximum performance. The good thing is though, that these kits can move enough air to seriously damage your entire driveline.... which makes them okay in my book. :)

Users who are viewing this thread