Struts?

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
How hard is it to change the struts on the 93 Cobra? I think it is about time to change the shocks and struts on my car, but I have never messed with stuts before. Is this a job better left to the pros or can an average guy do it in his garage? I know the shocks are nothing too complex, but I don't know much about struts. Also, what kind should I get if I am looking for a little better than stock handling? Will shocks and struts make that much difference in handling? All help is appreciated.

93SVT-Jason

Established Member
I couldn't imagine driving the car again with out my Koni adjustables. Night and day differance. Kind of expensive, but worth every penny to me!

'93#3989

Established Member
I honestly had a hard time buying my replacement shocks/struts. I felt the same way you do. It was a bit of a hit but the difference was night and day. You don't realize how far the shocks/struts have worn until you replace them. I went with Bilstein units.

psucobra

Established Member
I have the Tokico 5-way adjustables on mine and I like them alot. You can go from soft at as Caddy to as hard as a circus wagon.

Changing out the struts isnt very difficult if you have the right tools. You will need an impact wrench to get the top strut nut off. When I did mine I went down to the Pep Boys and the loosened the top nut up for me for free. Then when I got the new ones on the tightened the nuts down.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I checked online for Bilsteins. Looks like about $500 for the shocks and struts. Do you have to get the car re-aligned after the strut install?

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by psucobra
I have the Tokico 5-way adjustables on mine and I like them alot. You can go from soft at as Caddy to as hard as a circus wagon.

Changing out the struts isnt very difficult if you have the right tools. You will need an impact wrench to get the top strut nut off. When I did mine I went down to the Pep Boys and the loosened the top nut up for me for free. Then when I got the new ones on the tightened the nuts down.

So an impact wrench is the only special tool? Do you have to buy any other parts besides the shocks and struts to do the install?

psucobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 93_Snake
So an impact wrench is the only special tool? Do you have to buy any other parts besides the shocks and struts to do the install?

Yeah, that an a breaker bar to break loose the 2 lower bolts. Thats all i can think of. Somebody please chime in if i missed somthing.

Users who are viewing this thread