Strut Tower Brace

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
I have had 4 Mustangs and 2 Cobras so far in my lifetime and always had a Strut Tower Brace put on my cars. Has anyone thought of putting one on our 03's? and or has anyone found anyone who makes them? If so, how much and where?:shrug:

Blackcobra

Established Member
Very happy with the Kenny Brown strut tower brace. I saw it first on Haveight's car where it fit great and looked strong. I've had it on for 2000 miles and am happy.

http://www.kennybrown.com/2003_svt_cobra_upgrade.htm

FYI: While not listed on this web page, they sell a three-part kit consisting of the strut tower brace, lower chassis brace, and super subframe connectors for a savings over the individual component prices. Just call the main number to discuss.

P.S. One caution: it is common to slightly crack the plastic grate at the base of the windshield (sort of a black plastic-looking cowling that runs across the car between the hood and the base of the windshield) when installing/tightening the strut tower brace. It's just cosmetic and you can replace the part pretty easily if you do crack it during install, but FYI to try to watch out.

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
Thanks for info. I do appreciate it. Do you have any pics of your install? The one on the site not that well? I appreicate it. :beer:

Blackcobra

Established Member
FYI: A local installer charged me $319.80 to install the KB super subframe connectors, KB strut tower brace, and KB lower chassis brace.

Goldy

Established Member
Go to the web site show below; it shows the Kenny Brown strut tower brace installed on my car ('03 Black Cobra Convertible), along with other Kenny Brown mods. (My Kenny Brown Performance mods include the strut tower brace, caster plus plates, lower chassis brace, super sub-frame connectors, cross matrix bracing, jacking rails, and rear shock tower brace.) I'm very happy all of the Kenny Brown mods. Most of these can be seen on the site below.

http://www.indysvtoa.com/kb_shocktower.html

BTW - I have similar mods on my '99 Cobra. Neither of the plastic cowling covers cracked/were broken when the strut tower brace was installed.

Good Luck.

Howard

KNGOBRA

Banned
Originally posted by Blackcobra
Very happy with the Kenny Brown strut tower brace. I saw it first on Haveight's car where it fit great and looked strong. I've had it on for 2000 miles and am happy.

Did you or do you have to drill any holes to mount the tower brace??

Goldy

Established Member
It's may be hard to see from the pics, but there were no holes drilled on the strut towers themselves; the strut tower brace attached to the towers using the same bolts which hold the strut in place. Kenny Brown performance installed the parts. I'm certain they replaced the strut tower/strut bolts/nuts with their own.

There were two (2) holes drilled into the fire-wall/'cowl' (if I'm referring to it properly) to secure the strut tower brace to the fire-wall/'cowl'. The plastic piece covering the cowl needed to be trimmed slightly to allow for the strut tower brace to be mounted to the fire-wall/cowl.

Hope this helps.

Howard

KNGOBRA

Banned
Originally posted by Goldy
It's may be hard to see from the pics, but there were no holes drilled on the strut towers themselves; the strut tower brace attached to the towers using the same bolts which hold the strut in place. Kenny Brown performance installed the parts. I'm certain they replaced the strut tower/strut bolts/nuts with their own.

There were two (2) holes drilled into the fire-wall/'cowl' (if I'm referring to it properly) to secure the strut tower brace to the fire-wall/'cowl'. The plastic piece covering the cowl needed to be trimmed slightly to allow for the strut tower brace to be mounted to the fire-wall/cowl.

Hope this helps.

Howard

Thanks, that's what I was looking for..... ;-)

ntechnic

Established Member
This gave me an idea. I want STB also due to flexi-flyer convertible problems.

What I'm going to do is buy the KB brace. Then have my shop cut off the mounts that go under the CC plates. I'll have them fabricate new mounts that attach like the STB's for 94-99's, plates that mount on two of the vertical surfaces of the strut tower. We can drill holes and use bolts and nuts for a strong, yet removable mounting.

Seems to me it would be easier to fab up the tower mounts than hack and reshape the tubes themselves.

I work on my cars a lot and the STB comes off half a dozen times a year, so the under the CC thing is not an option.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Has anyone thought of putting one on our '03s?

Absolutely. Strut Tower and K-Member Braces. Waiting on MM...

Users who are viewing this thread