Strut Tower Brace Identification

Charlington

Established Member
So I picked up a brace off Ebay thinking it was for a 5.0 and the angle of the photo made the brace look different. Thought the front bar went up over the engine but this one goes around the front of the engine like a modular Cobra brace. The key here is the brace is RED and looks factory. Not like an aftermarket brace. I could see from the photo it was factory but the pic was black and white so I had no idea it was RED.
Any clues?
Gotta run for now but while post a pic if necesary when I get back.

Charlington

Established Member
Right, The brace looks exactly like the one on the Cobra (96-98) in the 1994-2004 Haynes manual page 1-4. The Cobra with the plenum shaped like a loaf of bread. The brace is definitely a factory Ford brace with the odd metal wrapped around the ends to form the brackets with the holes that bolt to the towers. The Most odd thing is the red color. It's all red with no other color underneath to indicate having been painted over and I have never seen a factory brace any color other than Black so I thought the Red would identify it. The seller didn't know what it was and it cost less to buy it than it did to ship it so worth the gamble.

Charlington

Established Member
96,97,98cobraBrace.jpg

Looks like this one. Appears to curve up but really curves forward. Fits 96,97,98 Cobra

I suppose. Must have been really OCD to do such a good job on a piece like this. Like I said, there is no other color under the red. Gonna see if it fits a friend's 98.

Edit: Searching Google Image I found matching red sway bars from a Saleen so maybe that's how it got painted red, Saleen did it! Maybe...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread