Strut mount doesn't fit strut?

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I ordered Motorcraft strut mounts AD-1062 for 2011-2014 GT mustang and Monroe struts 72540. Either the strut threaded section is too short or the mount is too thick as it does not fit. What have I ordered wrong?

GT500wantabe

Established Member
Wrong mount that is for 2005-2010
Thanks! Would you happen to know the correct mount that doesn't clunk? Every time I drive into my garage or over a bump slowly it clunks and feels like something isn't right. I've read of this problem on 05-10 but thought it was fixed on the later.

scotmach

Established Member
It's the stock crappy mounts that are the problem. Get the correct year strut and use those GT500 mounts.

GT500wantabe

Established Member
It's the stock crappy mounts that are the problem. Get the correct year strut and use those GT500 mounts.
Guess I better clarify. I have a 2013 GT500 with the electronic shocks. And it is a clunker when going over the 2" edge in my garage or any edge going slowly. I thought going to the GT mounts would correct this.

I have 23K miles. Could that be the problem? I bought the car used with 20K and it's done this from since I've had it. Not sure what to buy at this point.

Had a new 2006 GT that did this and changing the upper strut mounts fixed it.

Last edited:

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I think the difference in one that clunks and does not is the thickness of the rubber. Maybe hardness??? But here are two pics showing the difference. I received the one on the bottom with the thicker rubber but it does not have a recess in the top side so my strut shafts are too short.

Attachments

• Strut AD-1100.JPG
    Strut AD-1100.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Strut AD-1062.JPG
    Strut AD-1062.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 256

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You are correct, sounds like your struts need to be exchanged. I don't know about the 13-14 500s, but AFAIK all GT500s from 7-12 used the strut mount on the right. The earlier strut mounts for the GT500 are much better. I ended up running 05-09 Koni STR.t struts so I could use them, as the newer strut shaft would be too short.

GT500 strut mount on the right
wi635t.jpg

2jcy4ue.jpg

and 05-09 Koni STR.t vs my 14 track pack strut

2v9falc.jpg

Last edited:

GT500wantabe

Established Member
That's the struts I need. The one on the right! Thanks, now to decide what to do. Rock Auto has gotten me into a pickle!

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I bought these Monroe from Partsgeek. If these would fit I could exchange them.

Same part number comes up for GT or GT500.

Attachments

• 2010 struts.JPG
    2010 struts.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 213

GT500wantabe

Established Member
Dude get some Bilsteins for that GT500!

Don't cheap out. Also that says "2010 Ford Mustang"
I thought Monroe was a good strut???

03Sssnake said 05-09. Apparently 2010 will fit. I pulled up 2009 and it had same part number as 2010 on Monroe's site.

I really just want to get rid of this clunking noise! Don't do any track racing. And too these electronic shocks are very rough riding even on normal mode. I drove a 2013 Boss and it was a much better ride.

Leaning towards a strut kit that is completely assembled with spring.

jp1seattle

Established Member
I thought Monroe was a good strut???

03Sssnake said 05-09. Apparently 2010 will fit. I pulled up 2009 and it had same part number as 2010 on Monroe's site.

I really just want to get rid of this clunking noise! Don't do any track racing. And too these electronic shocks are very rough riding even on normal mode. I drove a 2013 Boss and it was a much better ride.

Leaning towards a strut kit that is completely assembled with spring.

I don't know man....I would just be a little hesitant to put anything that isn't a clear upgrade from OEM on a GT500.

It definitely shouldn't be clunking though. It's basically a new car, right? No mods?

jp1seattle

Established Member
I'd post this question in the GT500 forum too.....you might get better responses from people more familiar with the stock set up on the Shelbys.

Hope you get it squared away. Those are awesome cars.

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I don't know man....I would just be a little hesitant to put anything that isn't a clear upgrade from OEM on a GT500.

It definitely shouldn't be clunking though. It's basically a new car, right? No mods?
I hear you and I am hesitant to put just anything but I want this clunk gone and don't know which way to turn. I bought it used with 20K miles and now has almost 24K. Had the clunking when I bought it.

It's got almost every bolt on mod. 707 rwhp.

I'd post this question in the GT500 forum too.....you might get better responses from people more familiar with the stock set up on the Shelbys.

Hope you get it squared away. Those are awesome cars.
I was thinking most of us GT500 guys would go with high dollar coil overs is why I did not post over there. But you may be right and I probably will see if anyone there has experience with clunking and a fix. My thought was just go with GT shocks and strut mount. If I could find the right parts.

Yes, definitely awesome car for sure. Never had a car this fast. My previous fastest was a 2012 Z06 that ran 128 mph I the 1/4. This GT500 will beat it easily based on my HP Tuner run times and seat of the pants feel. Never had it to the drag strip yet.

Users who are viewing this thread