Strut install problems, Video asks/tells all--Please help

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
So I'm pretty amateur, So I just made a video to try to explain whats going on.

Basically, I have a 11 GT, The heavy duty gt500 strut mounts/camber plates, Tokico D spec shocks, Steeda lowering springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxmmkrAiVis

The Strut broke, So I have a brand new replacement that I did prime, and put in. I followed latemodelrestorations video on lowering spring instsall I believe. Basically, I dropped the strut assembly, put the spring on the new strut, and put the spring mount on and slid the strut shaft thru he mount and lined the spring up with thte groove of the mount, I pushed the strut mount down to get the shaft thru and tightened it all the way down. There was no need for the spring compressor, and obviously by the video the nut is all the way down, but therees even more shaft coming out fo the firewall that's not even threaded. The stut mounts basically can only go in 2 ways, and either way is the same. I have no idea whats going on.

Last edited:

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Looks like you might have some weird combination '05-'10 struts, but '11-'14 mounts, or something of the sort.

attachment.php

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Looks like you might have some weird combination '05-'10 struts, but '11-'14 mounts, or something of the sort.

attachment.php

It is 05-10 struts but I have 05-10 GT500 mounts to make it workwork. I measure the threads compared to the one I'm replacing and their the same length. Any other ideas?

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
With how much thread you have coming out, it does appear to be a 05-10 strut. Are you sure you put the GT500 mounts on? It almost looks like to but the smaller 11-14 mount on a 05-10 strut? Double check...

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
With how much thread you have coming out, it does appear to be a 05-10 strut. Are you sure you put the GT500 mounts on? It almost looks like to but the smaller 11-14 mount on a 05-10 strut? Double check...

SDA-555-8135_xl.jpg

This is the exact strut mounts I put together and put in. Their Steeda Heavy Duty GT500 strut/camber mounts...

Its what is on the driverside, I do not understand what it is on the driver side that prevents the entire strut coming thru the mount... this is driving me crazy.

Like I said I DO have 05-10 Tokico D Spec Struts, but I'm using those mounts.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Is it possible the spring lost its stiffness or whatever when the strut broke and it cause it to wear? Because the strut bolt seems like the perfect height untill I lowered the car off the stands.

Its almost like the weight of the car is pushing the control arm up, compressing the spring and causing it to push the entire strut up? Is that possible? Idk. Somethings off. I looked at the other side and it looked identical untill I lowered the car and then it pushed the strut to the height its at now.

Theres a cup that goes into the top of the spring, The gt400 strut mounts fitst inside of it while the shaft of the strut flides thru it, the diameter of the shaft is smaller than the cup and mount, but its just like that on the other side as well.

Is this likely if I put the camber plates in, in the wrong direction? Or the spring got weak? Idk.

86Fbody

Established Member
Is it possible the spring lost its stiffness or whatever when the strut broke and it cause it to wear? Because the strut bolt seems like the perfect height untill I lowered the car off the stands.

Its almost like the weight of the car is pushing the control arm up, compressing the spring and causing it to push the entire strut up? Is that possible? Idk. Somethings off. I looked at the other side and it looked identical untill I lowered the car and then it pushed the strut to the height its at now.

Theres a cup that goes into the top of the spring, The gt400 strut mounts fitst inside of it while the shaft of the strut flides thru it, the diameter of the shaft is smaller than the cup and mount, but its just like that on the other side as well.

Is this likely if I put the camber plates in, in the wrong direction? Or the spring got weak? Idk.

The spring could have weakened, though if you deconstruct it and compress the spring you can be sure the strut mount is completely down on the strut.

Slowb00st

Established Member
SDA-555-8135_xl.jpg

This is the exact strut mounts I put together and put in. Their Steeda Heavy Duty GT500 strut/camber mounts...

Its what is on the driverside, I do not understand what it is on the driver side that prevents the entire strut coming thru the mount... this is driving me crazy.

Like I said I DO have 05-10 Tokico D Spec Struts, but I'm using those mounts.

Red mounts are for 11-14 black mounts are for 05-10 and 07-14 GT500

http://www.steeda.com/2005-2010-mustang-parts/#/product/353

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Red mounts are for 11-14 black mounts are for 05-10 and 07-14 GT500

http://www.steeda.com/2005-2010-mustang-parts/#/product/353

Yes, After speaking with Steeda they did tell me I have the 11-14 mounts, and I need a spacer. What I'm confused about is when I pulled all of this apart I never noticed a spacer, unless it fell out and rolled somewhere in the garage without me noticing.

Does anyone know what this spacer looks like or know where a picture of one is? I can't seem to find out, and the driver side works properly and I didnt notice a spacer there either, but obviously I need it since I use 05-10 struts.....

smittybat

Established Member
Yes, After speaking with Steeda they did tell me I have the 11-14 mounts, and I need a spacer. What I'm confused about is when I pulled all of this apart I never noticed a spacer, unless it fell out and rolled somewhere in the garage without me noticing.

Does anyone know what this spacer looks like or know where a picture of one is? I can't seem to find out, and the driver side works properly and I didnt notice a spacer there either, but obviously I need it since I use 05-10 struts.....

I think you need to request it when you buy it, or they don't include it.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I never seen them I don't believe, maybe it's possible that when the stut broke they dropped out and landed on the road somewhere... Idk.

It didn't make sense but then he clarified they go on the underside of the firewall between the cup and mount. I Bought the car with this suspension on it and never really knew what I had. I knew the struts it had so I assumed it was GT500 mounts.

These that I have seem pretty well made , whats the benefits of these over the GT500 mounts? I see their higher in price so I'm curious why the previous owner went with this setup..

smittybat

Established Member
I never seen them I don't believe, maybe it's possible that when the stut broke they dropped out and landed on the road somewhere... Idk.

It didn't make sense but then he clarified they go on the underside of the firewall between the cup and mount. I Bought the car with this suspension on it and never really knew what I had. I knew the struts it had so I assumed it was GT500 mounts.

These that I have seem pretty well made , whats the benefits of these over the GT500 mounts? I see their higher in price so I'm curious why the previous owner went with this setup..

The steeda mounts you have allow for camber adjustability. The gt500 have no adjustability.

kanine

Established Member
I also have a question, I'm trying to assemble my front suspension too. I have a 14 GT, I bought 05-10 Koni Yellows and the GT500 strut mounts, pairing it with the 11-14 Eibach Pro Kit.

Is it correct that the middle bolt for the strut nut to be taller like that? How much should I compress the springs? Should it be compressed enough that the strut mount can be screwed onto the lowest parts of the thread?

Attachments

• DSC_0656.JPG
    DSC_0656.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 218

86Fbody

Established Member
Compress the spring all the way down so the mount bottoms out on the strut and then tighten it. After that decompress the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread