Strong smell like oil is burning

verbal

Established Member
Hi all,

Over the past few months I have been getting a strong smell inside the car that to me smells like oil burning off. It happens after I have not driven the car for a few days and only happens the first time I give it mild to full throttle. I do not see any leaks and do not notice any loss in oil when measured. The car is always up to temp when this happens. I do not have any engine mods other than an oil catch can and I check that regularly.

I am about to take it to the dealership to have it looked at but was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or has any thoughts on what it could be.

Thanks in advance

carguy19

Established Member
Do you have an oil separator on the car?

I'd bet money that your getting some vapor out of the connections.

verbal

Established Member
Thanks. I will check the connections.

I was thinking that oil might be collecting somewhere while it is sitting for a few days. I do notice in my rear view mirror that a small trail of white smoke will appear at initial startup. It quickly goes away.

carguy19

Established Member
Thanks. I will check the connections.

I was thinking that oil might be collecting somewhere while it is sitting for a few days. I do notice in my rear view mirror that a small trail of white smoke will appear at initial start up. It quickly goes away.

On my oil separator, when I first installed it, the hose that goes to the blower wasn't all the way seated onto the nipple, there was some vapor coming out under boost. I would check that first before you go bring the car to the dealer. Also make sure that you have the separator lines hooked up correctly.

verbal

Established Member
Checked oil lines and they appear to be seated correctly. There is no oil residue anywhere around the connections.

HighVelocity

Established Member
I found an oil spot on the garage floor. So I put it up on my friend's lift and spotted burnt oil on the passenger side upper o2 sensor. Upon further inspection it was coming from the bottom rear of the valve cover. So I removed the battery to gain access and retighten the value cover bolts slightly. So far so good. I will recheck it in a week. Maybe u have the same leak?

Users who are viewing this thread