Strong fuel smell under the hood. Suggestions needed

delvin.a

Established Member
I have been noticing after drives this very strong smell of raw fuel in the garage. I've checked all the fittings and injectors I think the smell is coming from the two nylon lines that run from the body hard lines to the hard lines that connect to the rail. What are my options on fixing this? Can I get the nylon lines and re-build? I've used Goodyear fuel line in the past I guess that worked okay. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. The lady is growing tired of driving me to work :) because I refuse to drive it like it is now. Oh ya this is on my 93 Cobra

Thanks

buddha93

Established Member
Check the charcoal canister on the passenger side and make sure all the hoses are on it, as well as the vent cap. I promise you it's not the soft lines.......you'd have gas all over the place if they were compromised. Another thing to check is the fuel tank itself, and make sure the rubber gasket for the filler tube is OK. Look around the injectors as well for any possible leaks past the o-rings.

delvin.a

Established Member
The charcoal canister has it's vent caps however only the larger of the two hoses is on and the 90* elbow is rotted. I'm gonna replace that now but where does the other one connect to? Can I just cap it?

Here is a picture, please excuse the dirt, a spring cleaning is coming up

7baf4001.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
The charcoal canister has it's vent caps however only the larger of the two hoses is on and the 90* elbow is rotted. I'm gonna replace that now but where does the other one connect to? Can I just cap it?

Here is a picture, please excuse the dirt, a spring cleaning is coming up

7baf4001.jpg

The other line runs to your gas tank........your canister isn't serving any purpose at this point. There should be a rubber hose that hooks up on the open port which in turn is attached to a hard plastic line that runs back to the tank.

delvin.a

Established Member
I thought that might be the case. I went ahead and capped it and replaced the elbow. The smell seems to have gone away. I'll have to get it back on jack stands and hook up the other line.

Users who are viewing this thread