Stroker is done!

drkchk03svt

Established Member
For those of you that wanted to know the out come well here is your chance. The motor was cranked for the first time last night and we did some break in driving and some tuning.

We are waiting for my new JLT setup for some final tuning. The new JLT takes the MAF out of the fender and runs a larger 12" filter in the fender. The new intake requires a new tune so we figured we would do some tuning last night and some after the intake is installed.

On April 9th was my last tune and that is what I will compare it to. With only 10 miles on my new motor and reading 94 degrees outside I gained 27.9 rwtq and 24.9 rwtq.

Old numbers: 468.8 rwhp / 473.5 rwtq / 75 degrees outside or something like that (I forget the exact temp)!

New numbers: 496.7 / 497.1 / 94 degrees outside temp! Too damn hot!

We predicted 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq gain from the stroker. Remember this is with stock cams and stock heads. With some new tuning later in the week we are hoping for some more power. We are starting to wonder if I have a bad port from Steig. Mistakes do happen. The blower has never made the power it was supposed to. Before the port and before I added a lower, I had 464 rwhp and 480 rwtq with just a 2.8 upper. Did I gain from the stroker so far??? With out a doubt I did. Would I gain more with a different ported blower? Possibly! Would I gain more with a whipple? Hell yes!

To the guys at HPP, once again thanks for the awesome quality work!

Thanks,

Will

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
I also believe some ports are better then others.............as some blowers are better then other blowers on theses cars.

Might be in the rotor tolerences???

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
That's great news Will!
Get some miles on that car and then step up to a Whipple or KB. A badass built motor deserves more than an Eaton blower. :beer:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
racerat said:
That's great news Will!
Get some miles on that car and then step up to a Whipple or KB. A badass built motor deserves more than an Eaton blower. :beer:

Thanks! I wish I could get one right now!

Will

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
congrats on getting it rolling again.

...maybe your port needs a refresh or update?

SlowSVT

Established Member
You neglected to tell us what your new stroke and displacement is? Did you punch out the bore as well? How much did the stroker crank, rods and or pistons end up costing?

Some of these stroked motors don't leave much piston left in the bore at BDC.

Congrats on the sucessful engine build. Break that baby in easy :beer:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
You neglected to tell us what your new stroke and displacement is? Did you punch out the bore as well? How much did the stroker crank, rods and or pistons end up costing?

Some of these stroked motors don't leave much piston left in the bore at BDC.

Congrats on the sucessful engine build. Break that baby in easy :beer:

I am sorry. I had previous posts on that. Look up stroker under my name. It is a 302 stroker. If you have any questions about pricing contact HPP at 972-395-9844. I am not supposed to list pricing due to rules on the board.

Thanks,

Will

drkchk03svt

Established Member
postban said:
congrats on getting it rolling again.

...maybe your port needs a refresh or update?

I am sure that may help but if I remove this blower any time soon it will not be for another port job! ;-) Unless they decide to send me a core and I send them this one. I highly doubt that will happen.

Thanks,

Will

vetkilr

Established Member
drkchk03svt said:
20 peak max timing. It will never see more than 19 in the heat.

Will
Thats your problem...............if you upped it to 23 degrees you would have more like 520rwhp or so :thumbsup:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
vetkilr said:
Thats your problem...............if you upped it to 23 degrees you would have more like 520rwhp or so :thumbsup:

lol...thanks! BOOOOOOOOM in Texas heat with 23 degrees with 93 oct. If I due a race tune with race gas then I will do 23.

Will

vetkilr

Established Member
drkchk03svt said:
lol...thanks! BOOOOOOOOM in Texas heat with 23 degrees with 93 oct. If I due a race tune with race gas then I will do 23.

Will
Dont think so......Broke and I run 24 degrees in the fl weather so its safe :burn:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
vetkilr said:
Dont think so......Broke and I run 24 degrees in the fl weather so its safe :burn:

The air and the altitude make a huge difference. Trust me, I have seen many 03-04 cobra's tuned here in the area and from all over and the car will detonate with that timing and pump gas in our 90+heat. Even if it does not detonate on the dyno I highly recommend not to chance it for the street under more load. I dont want to rely on my computer to pull the necessary timing like it is supposed to in high temps. IMO

Will

Last edited:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
drkchk03svt said:
The air and the altitude make a huge difference. Trust me, I have seen many 03-04 cobra's tuned here in the area and from all over and the car will detonate with that timing and pump gas in our 90+heat. Even if it does not detonate on the dyno I highly recommend not to chance it for the street under more load. I dont want to rely on my computer to pull the necessary timing like it is supposed to in high temps. IMO

Will

I'm running 25 degrees and I drive it like I stole it and live in DFW and run straight 93. Never see more than 12mpg so you get an idea how I drive it and beat on it. Trust me 23 would be fine and your port is fine, your just not running as much timing as most guys that put up big numbers with ported blowers. Not a big deal, if you want it safe its safe, just don't expect 520rwhp on a ported Eaton w/ 19 degrees of total timing.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Jerryk said:
I'm running 25 degrees and I drive it like I stole it and live in DFW and run straight 93. Never see more than 12mpg so you get an idea how I drive it and beat on it. Trust me 23 would be fine and your port is fine, your just not running as much timing as most guys that put up big numbers with ported blowers. Not a big deal, if you want it safe its safe, just don't expect 520rwhp on a ported Eaton w/ 19 degrees of total timing.

Jerry, I already know most people up north that have high HP numbers have 23+ in timing. That has nothing to do with my setup. The problem I am experiencing is the loss of boost and the loss of power with it ported. I should have more boost with the 2.93 and 4lb lower. I had a 2.8 and 4lb lower and still only saw 16lbs with the port. That is the same amount I saw with only a 2.8 and no port.

2.8 (16 lbs of boost) non ported eaton - 464rwhp/480rwtq
Ported with 2.93 and 4lb lower ( 15lbs ) - 468.8 rwhp / 473.5 rwtq / 75 degrees outside or something like that (I forget the exact temp)!

New numbers (302 stroker, port, 2.93 and 4lb lower with 15lbs still) - 496.7 / 497.1 / 94 degrees outside temp! Too damn hot!

All with the same timing. Obviously I know I can gain more by adding 3-4 more degrees of timing but it will not last IMO. Flat out my blower did not show the gains it should with the port. I am glad to hear from you and your experience though.

Thanks,

Will

Last edited:

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
HPP tuned my car with 19 or 20 degrees and I lost to a 2.93 car. I switched to a RWTD tune with 23 degrees and put the hurting on that same 2.93! HPP does do really safe tunes though, I think at your power level I'd just be happy :D. Sick car man.

Users who are viewing this thread