Stroker guys input please>>>>>

silverserpant

Established Member
I am starting to gather parts to put together another motor. I am curious to the guys that have done the stroker kits or big bore or combo of both if it is really worth the extra cubes.

Does it effect high rpms with the stroker kit being a limiter?

What kind of gains would be had by just the shortblock changes?

I realize ever combo will put out differant results just never delt with a stroker set up before so I wanted to hear some experances.

Thanks for any help guys

silverserpant

Established Member
yes I was looking at the boss block for the foundation, just have a chance to pick up a kellogg/manley stroker rotating assembley with custom made diamond pistons for about 2 g's. So that is what is brought about my curiousity into the stroker set ups. It will be around the same cost both ways, so now looking for the pros and cons in stroking the mod motor.

04torchred

Established Member
Power adder choice and where you plan to make peak power or hope to make peak power.

If its mainly a street car or race car with a twinscrew that won't see past 6500-7000rpm regularly I think a stroker is alright. If you plan to run a turbo or centri and turn north of 7500-8000rpm all the time I would say keep the stroke stock.

A smaller turbo'd car that won't go over 7k would most likely see a nice gain with a stroker, but I think it might be better to bump the compression a bit and run a stock stroke boss setup.

SlowSVT

Established Member
yes I was looking at the boss block for the foundation, just have a chance to pick up a kellogg/manley stroker rotating assembley with custom made diamond pistons for about 2 g's. So that is what is brought about my curiousity into the stroker set ups. It will be around the same cost both ways, so now looking for the pros and cons in stroking the mod motor.

Not something I would do

The stroke on these motors are already horrendous. Stroking pulls so much of the piston out of the bore at BDC its frightening :uh oh: Worsens the rod/stroke ration, increases piston speed, increases the load on the rod, pistons and bearings, adds mode side loading to the piston and requires the wrist pin to be moved up into the oil rings land so it’s not fully supported. My philosophy with building high output engines is to maximize the durability and not do anything that will compromise that. Stroking pushes all the needles in the wrong direction.

Besides, it's an FI engine where you can replace displacement with boost :banana:

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I have a Boss block stroker...made good power and a shitload of torque 880hp/910ft lbs on 25 psi on a mustang dyno with some belt slip, over 900hp and 1,100ftlbs with a little spray.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Not something I would do

The stroke on these motors are already horrendous. Stroking pulls so much of the piston out of the bore at BDC its frightening :uh oh: Worsens the rod/stroke ration, increases piston speed, increases the load on the rod, pistons and bearings, adds mode side loading to the piston and requires the wrist pin to be moved up into the oil rings land so it’s not fully supported. My philosophy with building high output engines is to maximize the durability and not do anything that will compromise that. Stroking pushes all the needles in the wrong direction.

Besides, it's an FI engine where you can replace displacement with boost :banana:

This.

The bigger bore also unshrouds the valves, which is a good thing.

Personally, I would make a piston choice on intended application.

silverserpant

Established Member
I was just reading up in some of my engine books and they explain how ovaling of the cylinders can occur like on the 5.4's. From the stroke length.

The main reason for me to build up a engine is I want to do the standing mile with the car, my finish goal is a twin turbo setup so that makes a for a big differance with the dish selection as I still want a "streetable" pump gas car out of it.

The kit I was looking at doesn't come with pistons and need to be custom as the crank was a low production run and had .050" more stroke than the standard stroker. I was talking with Diamond today and he showed me a few differant options for both TS and turbo set-up with the cranks and rods.

I gonna keep shopping around and come up with a total final plan before jumping to far.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I have a Boss block stroker...made good power and a shitload of torque 880hp/910ft lbs on 25 psi on a mustang dyno with some belt slip, over 900hp and 1,100ftlbs with a little spray.

+1 I DD my 5.3 boss stroker and made 630 ft lbs at 14 PSI on the whipple, most guys dont see that type of torque unless they are pushing 18-19 PSI on the same 3.5 inch pulley. Runs great and is more efficient in making power as far as i can tell. BTW your car is sick!

04torchred

Established Member
+1 I DD my 5.3 boss stroker and made 630 ft lbs at 14 PSI on the whipple, most guys dont see that type of torque unless they are pushing 18-19 PSI on the same 3.5 inch pulley. Runs great and is more efficient in making power as far as i can tell. BTW your car is sick!

Your big motor is hiding the actual blower rpms. You are still turning the same or more blower rpms as a guy running 18-19psi on a 281ci engine, you are just seeing a boost output of 14psi due to the cubes.

I would tend to use the blower rpm as an indicator of how well you are doing for power production.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Your big motor is hiding the actual blower rpms. You are still turning the same or more blower rpms as a guy running 18-19psi on a 281ci engine, you are just seeing a boost output of 14psi due to the cubes.

I would tend to use the blower rpm as an indicator of how well you are doing for power production.

I tend tend to use the horsepower and torque reading as a measure of power production as well as the seat of the pants feel. Because of the larger displacement motor and the higher compression ratio, the setup is creating more power per PSI, the numbers don't lie.

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
LOL boost is a measurement of restriction in the intake manifold.

Lower boost per given pulley combo means the Ve of the engine has increased.

Blower RPM is more important than boost. Track times are more important than dyno numbers.

If anyone thinks they need more stroke look at what Accufab does wih 281 cubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread