Stripped Spark Plug Hole....

Stolen 98

Established Member
No I did not use antiseize or any chemicals. The engine was stone cold...not been started for weeks.

It feels like I've unscrewed it way more times than there are threads...if that makes sense. I'm on ebay now looking at c-heads.

I'm so embarrassed/angry with myself.

mustang3X

Established Member
It can be repaired with a heli coil. Head still has to come off though.

If it will tighten I would just do that so at least you can drive while you assess your options.

Bummer it happened, but don't beat yourself up too bad, we all have shitty days in the garage.

97cobra...

Established Member
It's fixable my buddy's 03 get shot his spark plug out of the head a few weeks ago he took it to a shop and they fixed it, it's been running for about 3 months now with no issue

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Ive been running 2yrs and 11k on a time sert in my 03 Cobra and they did it with the head on the car. You should be fine with that call a known shop.

Stolen 98

Established Member
Well it looks like I'm fine...For now, I won't know until I fire it up tomorrow.

I went back to the garage, after I calmed down a bit, and on my dad's advice dumped two cap full's worth of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) down the plug hole.
Waited 30 min and the plug came right out.

Upon inspection the threads on the plug look perfect and there wasn't any metal bits on them. I decided to try to put it back in and it screwed right down and stopped and I unscrewed it and it came back out and right down tight again. I guess I overreacted since it felt weird going in the first time.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
If you start it up let the engine heat up you might be able to get the plug out. I'd give it a try, but turn it off before you do!!! It's not the worst thing in the world; good luck either way.

EDIT: Glad you worked it out!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread