Stripped passenger X pipe nut

captain slow5.0

Established Member
Well, partially stripped.

Had a buddy help me Saturday to attempt a Lethal X pipe install. Used a swivel and extensions to get the the PITA passenger side nut. It was still warm from driving to my buddies house and we used PB Blaster. I put everything into the breaker bar and all of a sudden, BANG! Sounded like the stud broke, or the swivel. Neither. Slightly rounded nut but not too bad. Tried a few times and the socket just wanted to spin.

I'll be able to try again tomorrow, anyone have any tips? I have a set of those bolt extractor sockets. I'd love to just cut the nut off or drill out the stud, but I don't see a way to get in there. I'm afraid to completely mangle the nut and be SOL.

I always have to have that one fail with every car I have.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Needs a mid length socket the next time so it doesn't jump off. Snap on sells them. Mine rounded off the first time. Used a craftsman nut out set to get it. Put it on a lift too for more leverage.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Have it welded, its a better seal no lesks over time...only draw back is if and when you have to remove it....

captain slow5.0

Established Member
Needs a mid length socket the next time so it doesn't jump off. Snap on sells them. Mine rounded off the first time. Used a craftsman nut out set to get it. Put it on a lift too for more leverage.

We were using a deep socket. I imagine it woulda been fine had the we not used a swivel, but you pretty much have to. I have a set of those Irwin extactors, but its a set of 5 and the closest size I have is a 14mm.

Rct851

Established Member
When you get the socket on there tap on the back of th extension pretty good to get a good seat

BlueCoyote

Established Member
At times when this has happened I've hammered on the next size smaller socket (impact socket 6 point) be it standard if its a metric nut or vica versa. Gotta be creative sometimes.
Make sure you never use a 12 point socket for something like this as it is more likley to round the nut than a six point. Just a tip if you didn't know.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Yeah like he said try using a 6-point socket...the right size one first it might grab if its not too stripped.
Im fighting a stud that snapped off .....tried welding a nut on and it broke twice ....now Im stuck drilling it out

Healthforhazard

Established Member
At times when this has happened I've hammered on the next size smaller socket (impact socket 6 point) be it standard if its a metric nut or vica versa. Gotta be creative sometimes.
Make sure you never use a 12 point socket for something like this as it is more likley to round the nut than a six point. Just a tip if you didn't know.

^This is how I fixed my half rounded off nut to the header/cat pipe after I slipped off. I had to hammer on a 15m really hard but it worked. The amount of torque to get those 4 bolts off was insane.

captain slow5.0

Established Member
We were using a 6 pt impact socket. I'll likely try the pound on method, its just that we were trying to use a swivel to get the socket to sit square on the nut. I also have those extractors ill try to use. I'm just afraid of completely destroying the nut and being completely screwed.

lshin037

Established Member
I had the same happen to me. Had to use PB blaster and a bolt extractor to get it off. Took a few tries but worked.

Vert

Established Member
That nut is a bitch to get off and the only I got it off was with one long extension. I had 3 extensions together and it was causing too much slop when I was trying to break it loose. Also, have your buddy unset the car holding the socket down as you try to break it loose.

captain slow5.0

Established Member
Wow! What a PITA.

I went home and threw the car on ramps and sprayed the nut with PB blaster. Went to Sears and got the additional nut extractor sockets. Got the extractor on and failed 3 times or so. I busted out the dead blow and pounded the shit out of the extensions. It was either going to work, or stay permanently fused to the nut. Happy to say it worked, and didn't seem to need that much force.

The drivers side nuts were a different story. I imagine being on my buddies lift woulda made it easier to get leverage and throw body weight around, but I was on my back under the car. Those 2 nuts were awful, I was convinced that Ford some how put 2 deformed thread lock nuts on my car. Inspection showed completely jacked threads on both nuts. Thanks Ford...

Users who are viewing this thread