Stripped header bolt

philkilla

Crusher of Skulls
Established Member
Hello all. My google-fu has been less than helpful so far.

I've long suspected I had an exhaust leak after my ARH headers were installed, and after dropping my k-member yesterday sure enough I found one.

The drivers side top right bolt was loose, and after swapping gaskets I attempted to torque the bolt; it did nothing but spin.

Should I attempt to re-tap for the current size (M12-1.25 I believe) or tap it for the next size up? I'd like to think of a helicoil as the last resort...

Also, can anyone recommend a specific brand of bolts? I ordered the "locking bolts" from mr. gasket for my year, but they are M8-1.25.

vortecd

Established Member
Can you use one of the stock studs? May be longer then the bolt and be able to screw in to some threads.

vortecd

Established Member
Nuts will go on and off the studs as many times as you like as long as they don't strip. If they do you get a new nut. It is best to use the factory studs when changing headers. Sometimes a stud may be in the way where you have to use a bolt. On my Hooker headers I only had to use 1 or 2 bolts

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Try using the stud first but I would go straight to the helicoil if the stud doesn't work out.

philkilla

Crusher of Skulls
Established Member
Will do Derek. Just out of curiosity if it comes to helicoil, what size drill bit would I want to use with the current threads of M12-1.25x25?

philkilla

Crusher of Skulls
Established Member
Stud was a no go. Hopefully I cam conduct helicoil ops in there. It's the top right/rear bolt on the drivers side.

Oh, and the bolts are M10-1.25x25.

philkilla

Crusher of Skulls
Established Member
Looks like a helicoil is a bit cheaper. The hard part will be getting a drill to fit up in there; I'm throwing the idea of either lowering the motor or lifting the front of the car up higher.

Slowb00st

Established Member
Looks like a helicoil is a bit cheaper. The hard part will be getting a drill to fit up in there; I'm throwing the idea of either lowering the motor or lifting the front of the car up higher.

How about a 90 deg drill adapter, the hard part of it all is drilling it strainght.

philkilla

Crusher of Skulls
Established Member
That would be a good start haha. I'll need to get a decent drill too.

Isn't it funny how simple projects tend to evolve into something more?

Users who are viewing this thread