Stripped Coupe w/ H&R Race Springs

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
I'm finishing my full tilt boogie irs bushing install and lowering project tomorrow. My car is pretty stripped down, having only corbeau seats, 5 point harnesses, full dash, and door panels on the inside.

There's absolutely nothing besides sheet metal and a few wires between the front seats and the back bumper. I noticed that this gave me a bit of additional ride height in the rear over other stock

sprung cobras. I have a set of H&R Race Springs and MM iso's (F&R) thatI'll finish installing tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on iso combo's and spring clocking that will give me a decent drop? I'm

running Bassani mufflers which hang a little lower than I'd like, so I don't want a crazy drop, just enoughto make the 18's look "fitted" into the wheel wells. I don't want them tucked. I'm thinking of not

using any iso's in the back and just the lower iso's up front to start. I can't find any threads relating spring setup/ride height/weight reduction. Any input is, as always, greatly appreciated. :beer:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I'd suggest putting isolators on the spring-to-body (top) connection to salvage some positive NVH results. That is, if you only need/want one isolator for a given spring.

Check post #8 of this thread about the ride height differences from no isos, stock isos, and poly isos...http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...t-rake-vert-h-r-race-springs.html#post9091613http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/653438-iso-combo-slight-rake-vert-h-r-race-springs.html#post9091613

You will have to play with different combinations to get the desired ride height. If these springs are being put on to improve performance for road course racing, start with the highest iso combo (poly top and bottom). These cars pitch a lot under hard braking, especially with sticky tires and/or upgraded brakes. You don't want your fender liner to start disappearing. If this is purely for looks, go wild but still check for wear on the fender liner. After the springs settle, see what needs to be done.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
FYI, I just swapped to Race springs. Race w/ MM Poly isolators top and bottom up front, bottom only in the rear. The front and rear both measure ground to fender 26 3/4" at all four corners. That is with a full tank of gas. If you go no isolators out back, you may have a lower drop out back than up front.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Thanks for the input, guys. I went with no iso's in the rear for now, and the ride height looks good, but I have a little less than a quarter tank of gas, since I ran it low to make dropping the fuel tank for the PPRV delete easier. I'm just gonna put the bottom iso in on the front springs and see how it looks with a full tank of gas. If it's too low in the back, I'll throw some iso's back there. Should I wait until the springs settle to get an alignment? The whole install has included the full tilt bushing kit and sway bar end links, race springs, MM aluminum rack bushings, and 335's in the back. Running 4 brand new KDW NT's on 18" cobra reps (9" and 10.5").

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Why wouldn't you want the isolator, a NVH device, in between you and the NVH that the spring experiences? Especially if this is the first iteration of your ride height test.

03mgtermi

Established Member
im running a full weight cobra with only the bottom iso in on each side of the rear. don't notice any increase of NVH.

i don't think they will settle enough to mess up the alignment if you went ahead and did it now. if you have the time to wait and would like the peace of mind....wait a week.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Why wouldn't you want the isolator, a NVH device, in between you and the NVH that the spring experiences? Especially if this is the first iteration of your ride height test.

NVH means nothing to me. I don't even have any audio equipment in the car. The car has one purpose: to hurt everyone's feelings. The reason I opted not to use the iso's in the rear is because of the lack of weight in the rear. I'll know for sure what it will look like when I get the front suspension put back together today and get some gas in the car. If it's too low in the rear, I'll throw an iso in.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i'm running h&r race springs with both stock isos up front and 1 mm iso and 1 stock iso out back. i think it came out great for car that wants to drive on the street and has retained a slight rake. if you use two mm isos up front, i think you will be very disappointed how high it will be

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
I ended up throwing MM iso's in the bottom of the rear springs as the back was a little low for my liking w/o iso's. Not too much lower than stock, but it looks good and raked now.

Users who are viewing this thread