Striped Passenger Side Header Studs

WildFifty

Established Member
We are installing a new x-pipe on my brother in-laws 10th anniversary cobra. Removing the stock pipe was not a big deal but when we tried to install the new Bassani xpipe the 15mm bolts would not screw on to either of the passenger side studs. We could not get the bolts to screw on the first set of threads. I am still amazed that we could not get either of the bolts on the passenger side. I can see messing one up, not both.
I am pretty confident the bolts are fine, they screw in fine on the drivers side and on the flanges that hook up to the catback.
Any advise on how to replace these studs? Space is limited and i can't get a bolts on either of the studs to try to back them up that way. Is my only option to remove the header?
Thanks in advance.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thread chaser..

New nuts..

Removing stud can be tricky..a torch is needed and you risk damage to header if not done properly. .

WildFifty

Established Member
Thread chaser..

New nuts..

Removing stud can be tricky..a torch is needed and you risk damage to header if not done properly. .

Thanks for the heads up. Been looking for a write up on how to remove the passenger side header but it seems like its pretty tough. Most recommend dropping the K-member.
This weekend we plan to try using one of these:
spin_prod_222885001

Has anybody had any success removing the studs using something like this?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Stock Header is very easy to remove.no need to drop k member..gasket is also reusable.

I would try to re thread or grind end of those studs before removing ..

You might have found this side is a common problem with those studs.
I've read a lot of threads were they snapped stud trying to remove vs repair.

This nut only seals exhaust..even if you went a size smaller it's going to hold without issues

WildFifty

Established Member
Stock Header is very easy to remove.no need to drop k member..gasket is also reusable.

I would try to re thread or grind end of those studs before removing ..

You might have found this side is a common problem with those studs.
I've read a lot of threads were they snapped stud trying to remove vs repair.

This nut only seals exhaust..even if you went a size smaller it's going to hold without issues

Got the job done today! Got our hands on a nice set of thread chasers that luckily had the correct m10x1.50 piece. We made sure the threads on the studs and the nuts were perfect and everything went back on smoothly. We are super glad we didn't have to deal with removing the studs.

Thanks again for the advice hotcobra03!

Users who are viewing this thread