Stress...

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
For the last week or so I have been having a lot of issues with my neck and shoulders. I carry all of my stress in those areas, and as of late the knots have become very large and painful. I feel like they might pinching or pushing on some nerves. My arms will 'fall asleep' if I sit or lay wrong, and the pain is keeping me up at night. I am going to get a massage tonight, and I have an appointment with a chiropractor next week to see if they can help. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you relieve them?

Also, I did a search so I know there are similar threads about this, but they were all fairly old. So I figured I would start a new thread.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Man I wish I could help but I'm having the same issue. I'm going to the select comfort store because a friend is suggesting its my mattress and the way I sleep. Go to the select comfort stores in the mall and see how they feel. If you lay down on a mattress and the middle of your back feels like its expanding (may hurt a little bit at first), then that's a good mattress and your old is the culprit. I know it sounds weird but that's what I felt.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have simalar issues with knots and limbs falling asleep and twinging,

best cure i have found is to take 4 nyquil and wash them down with 9 or 10 beers minimum,

works well

you will sleep all night

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member

best cure i have found is to take 4 nyquil and wash them down with 9 or 10 beers minimum,

works well

you will sleep all night

Or vicatin, but I'm not one for swallowing pills much. Long Islands do just fine until I get my new mattress.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member

works well

you will sleep all night

:lol::lol::lol: Good Lord! I bet that does knock ya out! Hell I take one shot of Nyquil and it puts me on my *** for a solid 8 hours!

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member

works well

you will sleep all night

:lol::lol: If I drank 9 to 10 beers alone I would land in the hospital!

I am not much for taking pain killers (other than excedrine), and I recently quit smoking (which I'm sure isn't helping) so other than trying the massage and the chiropractor I am at a loss. The mattress might be the problem, but we can't afford to buy a new one right now.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
:lol::lol: If I drank 9 to 10 beers alone I would land in the hospital!

I am not much for taking pain killers (other than excedrine), and I recently quit smoking (which I'm sure isn't helping) so other than trying the massage and the chiropractor I am at a loss. The mattress might be the problem, but we can't afford to buy a new one right now.

Then get some quilts/blankets and pack them under the fitted sheet (the one that fits snug on the mattress). I've been doing like 2-3 blankets/covers and its help a bit but you'll eventually need to get a new mattress bro. Its going to help the physical stress as well as mental.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
I do have a memory foam mattress pad on there. I don't imagine I will be able to get a mattress anytime soon, or convince Rob we need one, lol. Maybe after the honeymoon next year....

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I do have a memory foam mattress pad on there. I don't imagine I will be able to get a mattress anytime soon, or convince Rob we need one, lol. Maybe after the honeymoon next year....

Looks like vicatin, snorting coke, or smoking some hash is your best bet. lol

blownfox

Established Member
I would not go to a chiropractor, but that is just me.

Those muscle knots are trigger points, which can become very painful. Getting a massage is a good start but I would ask for a deep tissue or a trigger point massage (this is not a gentle massage and be uncomfortable at times depending on the person). Getting the right massage will help you more than just getting a massage.

Do you yoga or stretch regularly. Those are great ways to manage your stress. I stretch and walk my dogs every day (well until it gets too cold to be outside and for me that is 30 or above).

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Then get some quilts/blankets and pack them under the fitted sheet (the one that fits snug on the mattress). I've been doing like 2-3 blankets/covers and its help a bit but you'll eventually need to get a new mattress bro. Its going to help the physical stress as well as mental.

yeah your stress shows .... calling a hot chick who owns a mustang "bro" is a sure sign of gayness or stress ... I will leave it to others to make the call however LOL

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Looks like vicatin, snorting coke, or smoking some hash is your best bet. lol

Great, I'm doomed then. Lol

Those muscle knots are trigger points, which can become very painful. Getting a massage is a good start but I would ask for a deep tissue or a trigger point massage (this is not a gentle massage and be uncomfortable at times depending on the person). Getting the right massage will help you more than just getting a massage.

Do you yoga or stretch regularly. Those are great ways to manage your stress. I stretch and walk my dogs every day (well until it gets too cold to be outside and for me that is 30 or above).

I am very skeptical about chiropractors, I went one a few years ago for my hips (they are rotated) and neck (I have no curve in my neck spine) and he ended up screwing me up worse. I'm just going for a free consultation to see if those things are contributing to this.

I'm not nearly as active or 'fit' as I would like to be, and I don't do any kind of stretching or yoga. I do want to tone up for the wedding, so this is a good time to start. Then I might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Have you been to a DR to determine if it is stress yet? Could be a form of anxiety.

Not yet. I might have to do that if this doesn't work.

yeah your stress shows .... calling a hot chick who owns a mustang "bro" is a sure sign of gayness or stress ... I will leave it to others to make the call however LOL

Lol, I don't own a mustang...anymore :(

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I have found a three to five mile walk to be a great way to relieve stress. Also, a good work out can help. The problem is the muscles get tense, and never relax, which causes the body to compensate, which further aggravates the already tense muscles. Make the muscles work until they are tired, then they relax and everything gets back in sync.

But it may be you just need a good massage. If the maseuse you are going to is any good at all, they will zero right in on those tense muscles.

Good luck.

Jim Snover

For the last week or so I have been having a lot of issues with my neck and shoulders. I carry all of my stress in those areas, and as of late the knots have become very large and painful. I feel like they might pinching or pushing on some nerves. My arms will 'fall asleep' if I sit or lay wrong, and the pain is keeping me up at night. I am going to get a massage tonight, and I have an appointment with a chiropractor next week to see if they can help. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you relieve them?

Also, I did a search so I know there are similar threads about this, but they were all fairly old. So I figured I would start a new thread.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

Do not and I can't stress enough do not get a deep muscle massage without starting out with a lighter one first. You will pay deerly if you do. It'll take a few visits to get to where you can handle a deep tissue massage but it will help tremendously with the knots you have. A good masseuse will know this and will only do what you or your body can handle. Oh and drink lots of water afterwards.

Have you been to a DR to determine if it is stress yet? Could be a form of anxiety.

This also could help.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
A couple of things;

First, do find and use a *well recommended* chiropractor. Not all are good, so if you go see this guy/girl and you still feel tight (shut up guys) after wards, ask around for a good referral.

Second, try and drink more water and stay hydrated. For the most part, give up on all soft drinks.

Third, go for a walk, a long one. Every day. You don't have to start running, but a long walk does wonders to help get the muscles moving and 'light cardio'. You'd be shocked how just a little bit of exercise helps relieve tension.

When you stress, more blood is going into your brain to handle 'added load'. Where do you think it's coming from? First place, your back. Which is exactly why you get back pain when you stress out.

Also, acupuncture does wonders. It also helps a LOT along with the chiropractor. But these are things you can do to alleviate the problem.....for now. You still need to find the source.

I'm pretty sure you probably have bad computer ergonomic posture and position. You need to look into that. My wife was having severe arm and neck problems, and the culprit ended up being her desk, her posture, position of her mouse/materials, and her chair. That's something that you'll need to look into. Like, seriously. My wife is doing WAY better after we bought some ergonomically correct office furniture.

Massage is always good, but that's what husbands are for.

Never been one for prescription drugs. I always believed that, a good chiropractor (straightens spine, pinched nerves), a good acupuncturist (relieves muscle tension), massage (ditto), and going for long walks will pretty much just about take care of most all problems after getting into any kind of accident, or stress related, or of the like.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Nothing will put you to sleep better than a good hard workout.

Now THAT'S what a husband is for. :dancenana:

I definitely agree on the working out aspect. I really really need to start doing it....and will ASAP. I also know my posture at work is bad, which really annoys me because I used to have perfect posture (18 years as a dancer). I try to sit as straight as possible, but my back gets so tired and hurts so I end up slouching again. Vicious cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread