Strenth of the stock axels and non 3.73 diff?

2012GT/CS

Established Member
Hi guy's I'm going to buy some 3.55 gears next week. This is the first New mustang I have owned I had alot fo fox body's. What I want to know is how strong are the stock axels i know ther 31 spline now and the stock none 3.73 diff.? I'd like to buy the Ford Racing t-2 torsen diff. if it will improve traction a good amount. I will be Drag Racing once every 2 weeks on drag radials. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

DepWraith

Established Member
Hi guy's I'm going to buy some 3.55 gears next week. This is the first New mustang I have owned I had alot fo fox body's. What I want to know is how strong are the stock axels i know ther 31 spline now and the stock none 3.73 diff.? I'd like to buy the Ford Racing t-2 torsen diff. if it will improve traction a good amount. I will be tracking once every 2 weeks on drag radials. Thanks for the help in advance.

If you are drag racing I wouldn't go with the Torsen, they are more for road racing and don't like being shocked. I just pulled my Torsen out of my '13 and put a Trac loc in with 3.73.

01bluesnake

Established Member
For drag and street, Detroit Tru Trac hands down. The stock diff is also very good, just needs new clutch packs/insepction after a season or so. I restacked mine 4 per side, and made a noticeable difference.

2012GT/CS

Established Member
For drag and street, Detroit Tru Trac hands down. The stock diff is also very good, just needs new clutch packs/insepction after a season or so. I restacked mine 4 per side, and made a noticeable difference.

Thanks man I had the tru trac in my fox and loved it. What power limit do you think the stock axels can take? I know there better then the old 28 spline fox axels lol

killr3v

Extreme Member
Established Member
They can take a bunch of abuse. Just get the axle tubes welded and you won't have to worry about breaking anything. Just replacing clutches after a while like stated before

01bluesnake

Established Member
How many guys have actually destroyed the Torsen diff?

I have a friend who i worked at Ford with. He road raced his 95R and killed a few early Torsen diffs. I know the Boss comes with a Torsen diff, and seems to hold up well. There is a few versions to pick from, so really hard to say which one is good or bad. The Tru track is a very reliable diff and haven't heard of any fails due to product design. Im sure with enough horsepower anything can be broken.

01bluesnake

Established Member
A friend of mine bent his after many many track passes on slicks.

Ya, seen a few guys who had claims of bent axle shafts. I guess the production material run is hit or miss. I have many hard leaves on my stock rear and has been perfect. I'm upgrading to a 33 spline setup soon, hopefully this will last till then.

Users who are viewing this thread