Street v. Strip Set-up

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
As it stands I daily drive a consistant low 12 second track truck that I know is capable of 11s. However, this is with weight reduction, race fuel, slicks, a race tune and more aggressive pulley combination. In DD configuration I assume she's a high 12 second/low 13 second truck at best. Losing at least a full second hurts despite the fact its still nothing to scoff at but it got me wondering how everyone else thinks there trucks compare in street v. strip set-up. How much slower do you think you truck is in its street v. strip set-up?

EnglishAdam

Established Member
I've actually tried this.

In full street trim, i.e. tailgate and bed cover on, street tyres and my "normal" tune I can run a 13.4.
Slicks & skinnies and race tune, weight reduction and the meth injection takes it down to 12.9.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
i race at the track exactly how i drive it daily. Full weight with a heat soaked blower. 12.93 is my best. I personally dont care for ET's of vehicles that loose weight and run ran fuel to lower the ET.

Ginther

Established Member
Losing at least a full second hurts despite the fact its still nothing to scoff at but it got me wondering how everyone else thinks there trucks compare in street v. strip set-up. How much slower do you think you truck is in its street v. strip set-up?

Funny you should bring up this topic. I tested the theory yesterday at the track. It was interesting......... to say the least. :dw:

I went to the track on April 13th for the first time in this truck. Ran my first pass on my 'street' tune with pump gas...... 11.71 @ 112.48, 1.61 60' Ran my second pass on my 'street race' tune with a few gallons of race gas added to the tank...... 11.62 @ 116.97, 1.67 60' The second pass it actually spun a little with the extra power, but still cut a similar 60'.

The truck has more in it with a better launch and maybe a more aggressive tune. Both tunes are set up for pump gas cuz I figured I'd never really care about race gas and serious racing. Now I'm re-thinking that and considering a new tune and more pulley. :rollseyes

Anyway, back to the point. When I ran those times the only thing I changed from when I drive it on the street was the wheels/tires. Nothing else was removed, no pulleys swapped, not weight reduction... nothing. I took off the super heavy 20" Boyds with 305/40-R20 Nittos and ran a set of lightweight Bogarts with skinnies and MT ET Drag Radials.

Yesterday when I went to the track, I drove the 30 minutes, 25 miles to the track in the 90+ degree heat with the A/C on full blast. Paid to get in, drove to the tech guys and checked in, then lined up. Full weight, 20" Boyds and all.

I dont remember the exact numbers cuz the timeslips were so sad I tossed them. :(

Tried to roll into the throttle a little too hard and spun. Cut a 2.2+ 60' and ran a miserable 13.3 @ 108ish. I hot lapped it and made one more pass and tried to launch better. Cut a 2.1 60' and ran a 13.2 @ 109ish spinning thru 2nd gear. .

I gave up after that. The Boyds and worn Nittos were a joke. No sense in wasting more rubber on a lossing battle. :cryying:

It was pretty heart breaking to go from mid 11's....... skip the 12's all together, and barely break into the low 13's. :mj:

No traction = slow ass times.

Last edited:

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
I can say this. I drive to the track in full weight. I race in full weight. With stock tires up front and Nitto Grad radials on the rear. In my street tune and its tuned for 93 octane. I cut two 13.6's back to back. Now keep in mind, I still have the Nitrous bottle in the truck for those two passes. But now I'm using the Nitrous. I change the tune and nothing else. Its still tuned for 93 octane. The tune is very conservative at locked at 13 degrees of timing for my nitrous setup. I cut 12.7's and 12.8's with a 75 shot. The tune is very fat.
So that I don't hurt the motor. I know it has more in it. But thats not the point. I still drive it to work and around town.

But if I were to do more weight reduction and add some skinnies and slicks. I bet I could be in the 11's at a decent prepped track. Not the one I race at.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I thought about what i posted and i will be running slicks in the future if i install a high stall converter and a valve body. So that pretty much throws what i said out of the water.

Ginther, if my truck looked as nice as yours id take 13's any day.:bowdown:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Since I made the swap to Pro Stars, I'll be able to rock the M/T ET Street Radials full time. I'm going to run the truck on my street tune with pump gas and hopefully still be in the 10's. Of course I'll still crank the boost and run race gas for the fun stuff.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yep it's gettin there. Shouldn't be too much longer. I'm hopefully taking it next month to BTS for the tranny/cooler install. I'm still planning on making LF6.

Users who are viewing this thread