Street tuning timing?

SPoole

Established Member
From what i understand, the best way to tune timing is to slowly advance, take a pull, and repeat until you stop gaining power then stop. How is this done on the street when at 6-700hp it would be very difficult to feel small gains. Not to mention possible traction issues effecting the feel of the pull.

SPoole

Established Member
I ask because there is a local tuner with a great reputation for tuning mustangs, even high powered cars but he street tunes.
Even with the good track record I am a bit nervous.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does he do all the tuning on the street or does he start on a dyno and use the street to final tune?

SPoole

Established Member
Almost all on the street from what Ive heard. I know of one car that he is going to be tuning in the near future that is potentialy over 1000hp that he will be using a dyno for.

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
In short, there is no way to "correctly" tune timing on the street. It's definitely possible to get in the ballpark (especially if you have experience with similar combinations), and on NA engines with lower cylinder pressures you can usually get pretty close using logs from the same road over and over again. On any vehicle that is knock limited by fuel, I would never feel comfortable pushing the limits on the street. It's one thing to tune on the street and set the timing overly conservative, but if you're looking for the best results, you need a dyno (never hurts to have a set of knock ears either).

Users who are viewing this thread