Street traction

802gt500

Established Member
Just my opinion on this. Not bashing companies either. 12 Shelby svtpp gen II 800hp kit. Put 18s with 305/45 555r. 18psi Poly bushed everything in the rear with aluminum ds. All stock front.
Anyway new power this year and first gear was just to get moving hit second as hard as I wanted and would dead hook and squat and go. Looking for some 1st gear traction added bmr relocation and installed in middle hole as instructed. Also added Lakewood 50/50 rear drag shocks. Went for a ride and all I could do was laugh. No squat at all and NO traction. 2nd acted like 1st used to. 3rd was iffy. Came home and put the sensotrac rear shocks (which rode nicer) and adjusted the lca to the top hole in the relocation brackets.
Results. 90% of original traction is back. Less squat than stock lca mounting. More in control with this set up.
Note this is a street set up that works for me. Track setup with slicks would be way different im sure. Also this is in Vermont with 50-60 degree days.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Anybody that can get an 800 horsepower GT500 to hook on the street with drag radials is doing a pretty darn good job!!

Kevin P

Established Member
When the rear end squats down, it reduces the downforce on the tires. A well set-up suspension should lift the rear when accelerating, pushing the tires into the pavement. Of course, the front will lift too.

Speedboosted

Established Member
When the rear end squats down, it reduces the downforce on the tires. A well set-up suspension should lift the rear when accelerating, pushing the tires into the pavement. Of course, the front will lift too.

I was thinking this too while reading the OP...were the road conditions the same? Lot of variables that you left out, especially if you only took one drive and changed back. Surface, quality/conditon of surface, air temps, anything in your car....all play a difference in how your car will hook up

802gt500

Established Member
agreed

I believe the relocation brackets eliminate the squat and plant the tires on a sticky track and with slicks. Not on the street. I drove it a ton with the brackets and it was a joke everywhere for traction. Only got it to hook a little 1 time in 2nd. All other variables were exactly the same. Temp, time of day, tire psi, weight in the car, people in the car, ect.... Changed it back and hooks everytime everywhere.
Again the street has many variables just sharing what worked with me.

A little squat seems to plant the tires on my set up on the street.

802gt500

Established Member
The car is a svt pp so I think its a little lower than other shelbys but not sure. In any case it is the stock ride height that it came stock with.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Might be worth trying the "top" hole on the BMR brackets.

He did. That gave him most of the traction back.

I'm glad I found this thread a few days ago. I went to the track last saturday after going about a month ago and sliding everywhere in first with drag radials. I decided to move the control arms up from the bottom hole to the middle hole in the bmr bracket....ran an 11.48 @ 132 this time out compared to an 11.7 @ 131. 60' stayed the same but past that, the car hooked part of first which I'm assuming is what lead to the lower ET. I might experiment and go to the top hole next, just to see.

Users who are viewing this thread