street/strip suspension suggestions?

fatboyyyy

Established Member
what do you guys recommend for struts/shocks, and springs on my 04 gt. car will be going under the knife soon. I would like to know whatd you guys suggest

Three21

Established Member
I really have enjoyed my Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable shock and struts. You can't adjust the rebound, but it's still fun to be able to go practice launching at the softest setting then make a few clicks of the dial and have it firm for some corners.

As for springs I don't have much input. I now run coil overs up front and Eibach sport lines in the back that were left over from my previous set up. I might pick up some stock GT springs and cut a coil off for a softer spring in the back and better weight transfer.

silvercyanide

The Apprentice
Established Member
If you are looking to use stock location springs and stock a arms, my personal preference on springs are H&R SS springs. They drop a decent amount (about 1.75" front and 1.6" rear) and give a good stance, with an affordable pricetag. Though if you can aford it, a coilover setup is preferred, primarily for adjustability, and the additional drop looks sick. this also allows you to buy some nice a arms and shed a little weight. Just one thing to remember, the lower you go the more bumpsteer will result. You can buy a bumpsteer kit, basically a purpose adjustable tie rod end that replaces the outer tie rod and helps remove most, if not all, of the bumpsteer.

Shocks are an entirely personal preference. Tokico is a great brand, especially for the price. Bilstein is always a good idea, but an adjustable set of Tokico's are a comparable price and are obviously, adjustable. Just remember to match whatever shock setup you chose to the springs you purchase. Many are not ideal to handle the large amount of drop and will fail because there isn't enough "action" or throw in the strut for compressing and extending.

A set of Caster Camber Plates are, let me say, required. If you lower your car without them, you're gonna have a bad time. Caster is not adjustable on mustangs without them so, you're gonna have a bad time. Caster is fantastic for corners because as you turn, the more positive caster you have, the more negative camber is loaded and gives you more grip in the corners and less understeer. Also the adjusability of the plates allows for quick and easy camber adjustment. Think you need more, just loosen four bolts, adjust slightly, tighten, and you're off. I prefer Maximum Motorsports for CC plates as well, they look good and seem to be a higher quality than others.

Another note, Lower control arms definitely need to be swapped if you are wanting to bring out the potential of your pony, my preference is Maximum Motorsports XD LCAs. Some others may chime in with comments that they have too much road noise (use spherical bearings on chassis and axle mounting points), but I have had very little issue with noise, and even a mild exhaust would cover it up. The spherial bearings allow the correct articulation of the axle without allowing the axle to bind. This will help you hook and reduce wheel hop.

If it seems like i have a perversion with MM, well, kinda yeah. Top notch quality and reasonable prices, generally gets my vote. If you have any extra or specific questions, feel free to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread