Street-Strip Airbox

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Here is my Street-Strip airbox made from galvanized tin and a 4 inch plastic coupling. All the parts were obtained at Home Depot for about $20.

I wanted something that would hold a 9 inch Power Stack filter and keep it off the wiring that runs under the filter location. I also liked having the four inch hose coming up from the scoop in the front bumper but using that caused my filter to get a 4 inch diameter circle of grime in a very short time. So I designed this box with a thin slide-in filter to catch the grime coming up the hose from the front scoop. Even after 4 days the circle of grime is visible. The slide-in filter is much easier to clean and so that is my street configuration. When I want all the air I can get, I pop the top off and slide the filter out.

I was surprise to find that my car likes the filter box better that an open filter with no box. The idle and throttle are smoother. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising since my car was one the many that had a stalling problem after I initially put in a high flow filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread