Street Racing Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehunterooo

Established Member
After reading about some of the street racing accidentswhere the drivers and some others get into big trouble I have been thinking about some things.

I work the night shift and drive to work at night (10pm~),and maybe once or twice a month people try to race me (I do not street race/redlight race myself) at some of the lights on a two lane road (two lanes goingeach direction, so four lanes technically). I just take off a lot slower thannormal but the other driver will floor it sometimes losing traction.

Here is the question, say the other driver got into a wreck,like crashing head on into a car driving the opposite direction if they losecontrol, what should I do myself?

I am worried that even though I am not racing or trying tostart one like reving my engine I will also get into trouble based on what Idrive, age, etc. Would police/investigators suspect that I was street racing right off the bat? There are usually no pedestrians and traffic is pretty scarce atthat time but normally there are a handful of cars around so there could possiblybe witnesses. Basically I am asking what I should do in this kind of scenario in terms of protecting myself. I am strongly considering getting a dash cam regardless but even so should I stay at the scene of the accident, etc?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
In some states, it is a law to render aid at the scene of a crash. That being said, if you WITNESS any type of crash, you should stay to give the police an independent witness account of what happened.

Best protection you can get for yourself is a small dash cam.

cbj5259

Established Member
Dash cam is a great help, especially if this sort of thing happens to you on a regular basis. As was mentioned, in many States you have the duty to stop and render aid if you witness an accident (which could be anything from calling 911 to actually helping the crash victims). The only way you are going to be charged with anything is if A) physical evidence is present suggesting you were a participant in some type of race or B) a witness(es) indicates to police that you were an active participant in a race. They are not going to just charge you because you are driving a nice/fast car. Witnesses can be unreliable sometimes and if your car "sounds fast" that could work against you too. A dash cam alleviates all of those problems.

TaraFirma

Established Member
People have been charged and arrested for street racing when they weren't racing. Dash Cam was my first thought when I read your post before I ever read the first response. If your age and car has a tendency to get you the wrong type of attention, a dash cam will alleviate this and save you a lot of trouble for a very little price.
They are all over the place here in Korea. I suspect they will become a regular accessory in the very litigious U.S. within a year or so.

Dragu1a

Established Member
Nothing to see here......move along.-Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Closed due to more than one non-constructive reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread