Street Outlaws Participants Face NHRA License Suspension

Kevins89notch

Established Member

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Haven't they shown from behind the scenes footage the roads are closed? Hence the camera crews and large construction style light/generator combos. Like the moonshiners show, if it was real they would be documenting a crime. Notice how they always get rolled up on and let free, cops are part of the show.
It looks like they realize its fake and I get their point that it most likely does encourage the young dumb ass crowd but they'll do stupid shit anyway. It's like saying people in violent movies should have their weapons permits revoked.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Reality BS TV programming....

Nelson-saying-Haha.jpg

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Staged or not, it's more interesting than watching NHRA on ESPN. If something doesn't change soon, I can see NHRA doing some sort of restructuring. Top Fuel/Funny cars have nothing to do with what we drive. Prostock was the only class that had any resemblance of our cars. Now with Ford gone, there are two makes(Toyota/Chevy) in both Funny car and Prostock. Boring. The Ford wasn't competitive in Prostock and wasn't given any weight breaks to make it competitive, but every year they rewrite the rule book in Prostock bikes to keep it competitive? I see why Ford pulled out. They need to make Prostock the factory Superstock cars. Cobra Jet Mustangs, Copo Camaros, and the Challengers. That would be something I'd watch.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
NHRA races have a bazillion classes to watch besides just the "Big 3" pro classes. Doesn't matter though... they are not drawing the crowds they once used to.

With each subsequent generation since the baby boomers the love for all things automotive amongst our youth is diminishing at an alarming rate. These days millennials don't even want a car, let alone lust after one. My son's High School didn't even offer any type of "Industrial Arts" aka shop classes. I bought him a new Mustang to drive in high school and it just sat in our driveway. It meant nothing to him.

NHRA, NASCAR, SCCA, etc. are all showing a decline in popularity and gate admissions are way down. So part of the problem is the economy and the other is the mindset of our youth. Loud fast mechanical gas burning machines are just not cool an longer.

Sad state of affairs it is....

U.M.
U.M.

SirShaun

Established Member
Street Outlaws and NHRA Drama

I am a big fan of Street Outlaws. It's one of my man soaps. Good entertainment and the racing is real regardless.

Apparently the NHRA sent these letters to every licensed individual who has participated on the show.

Do you guys think the NHRA did this for publicity or for genuine reasons? Do you feel the NHRA has the right to do this?

Quick note, Street Outlaws has 4x more viewers than NHRA and their facebook is getting beatup by Street Outlaws supporters. Their letter may have back fired.

pierce-513x685.jpg

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...ion-licenses-revoked-participation-continues/

LostPony

Established Member
What Street Outlaws promotes is illegal activity, and the NHRA is well within their rights to pull the license of any who participate. To the NHRA, those participating are tarnishing the image that they have fought against for many years, and have also tried to get those who race on the street to bring it to a track instead. I personally do not see how Discovery can promote such a program without getting in legal trouble, and it may just be a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed, and Discovery finds themselves on the wrong end of a major lawsuit.

mavisky

Established Member
Doesn't that Section of the NHRA Rulebook only relate to NHRA events? Are they going to start banning people who get arrested for other stuff outside of drag racing events.

Stupid NHRA are trying act like they're the NFL or some shit.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Do any of those guys go to real tracks anyway? I know Mike Murillo does of course but no those other guys.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Isn't the whole show staged? Before every commercial break you get impression that someone is going to be arrested for drag racing, only no one does. I just can't get into it, it's nothing like the street races I attended 20 years ago, but maybe it's because the racing scene has changed since then.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
Do any of those guys go to real tracks anyway? I know Mike Murillo does of course but no those other guys.

BoostedGT has participated at many track events. Think Shaun with the blacked out Nova has in the past as well.

For anyone that watched these guys before this Hollywood faggotry aired, knows they don't act nothing like what they do in the television show. Back during the Cash Days and origins of MidwestStreetCar they was the real deal.

My favorite part of the show is all the different camera angles showing completely different environments. I just wish they all would wear NWO shirts.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Isn't the whole show staged? Before every commercial break you get impression that someone is going to be arrested for drag racing, only no one does. I just can't get into it, it's nothing like the street races I attended 20 years ago, but maybe it's because the racing scene has changed since then.

Looks that way to me.

chao5.0

Established Member
if they wish to remain track racers then yeah I would probably leave the show because NHRA has fought to keep a clean image, but if it doesn't matter to them to race on a NHRA sanctioned track anymore then give the NHRA the big ole middle finger. most of these guys are grudge racers and some of the tracks they race at aren't part of the NHRA, but if they do this to the SO guys then it will open a can of worms because what about all the other racers that have been busted street racing in the past?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

I would say so judging by the camera crews everywhere and the dozens of industrial flood lights they have set up all over.

They're only running 1/8 mile also.

I think the one time it wasn't staged was an early episode they were in an industrial complex and legitimately got surrounded by po po

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
What Street Outlaws promotes is illegal activity, and the NHRA is well within their rights to pull the license of any who participate. To the NHRA, those participating are tarnishing the image that they have fought against for many years, and have also tried to get those who race on the street to bring it to a track instead. I personally do not see how Discovery can promote such a program without getting in legal trouble, and it may just be a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed, and Discovery finds themselves on the wrong end of a major lawsuit.

Because the show isn't real. It's not real street racing. The roads have been shut down, with permits by the city and EMT's on site just like at the drag strip. It's just edited to try to look like street racing as much as possible. Reality TV is not reality. NHRA is NOT within their right to tell people they can't take part in the TV show in legal conditions. While Street Outlaws might be giving the illusion of promoting street racing, it's not. A major network like Discovery Channel would not put themselves in that sort of liability situation. Anyone who believes for a moment this is real street racing is very naïve.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Because the show isn't real. It's not real street racing. The roads have been shut down, with permits by the city and EMT's on site just like at the drag strip. It's just edited to try to look like street racing as much as possible. Reality TV is not reality. NHRA is NOT within their right to tell people they can't take part in the TV show in legal conditions. While Street Outlaws might be giving the illusion of promoting street racing, it's not. A major network like Discovery Channel would not put themselves in that sort of liability situation. Anyone who believes for a moment this is real street racing is very naïve.

This. I've been to a taping. It's an extremely controlled environment. Not only are police there to control the area, they don't let people in that aren't aupposed to be there. Does it promote street racing? Maybe. Viewers are led to believe (barely) that they are racing illegally. However, no illegal activity is actually taking place. Curious to see how this pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread