Strapping down your GT500

C0bra99

Established Member
I am planning on taking the beast on a trip that will include a enclosed trailer. I have been looking at solutions and was thinking of getting some t-hooks and doing it that way. Does anyone have some suggestions and links to gear I could use? I have Alocas that are powder coated and prefer not to attach any straps to the wheels or suspension parts.
Thanks

Mlarv

2013 Shelby GT500
Established Member
I am planning on taking the beast on a trip that will include a enclosed trailer. I have been looking at solutions and was thinking of getting some t-hooks and doing it that way. Does anyone have some suggestions and links to gear I could use? I have Alocas that are powder coated and prefer not to attach any straps to the wheels or suspension parts.
Thanks

Use d rings in the floor one in front of the tire and one behind it. Run a strap over the top of the tire and ratchet it down. That is the only way I have seen it done that I would do to my car. You are not pulling on the frame or the suspension just holding the tire in one place. The only other way is to place a 2x4 in front and behind each tire to hold the car in palce but I don't like it because it may mess up the tires.

Chance42

Established Member
The 2x4 doesn't stop side to side movement that will happen either. It all depends on the layout of the trailer for tie downs. Does it have e-trak, d rings, chain keyholes?

If you use t hooks or mini-j hooks you will be looking for reinforced slots on the chassis to hook to. I haven't been under a gt500 in a while, so I can't tell you exactly where they are. They are usually out to the sides near the rocker panels right around the front of the door. You will be able to tell they are reinforced because they will have extra metal that comes out in the shape of the slot, where as the other holes in the chassis, are just that, holes. They are shaped like a stretched oval if that makes sense.

What I do when I transport my vette on my deck is I use an 8 point over the tire tie down system. It goes behind the top of the tire with a strap keeper in the front of it. Each tire has a system to keep the car from moving forwards or backwards. The straps pull slightly to the side, so each side keeps the other from moving the car sideways when hitting a big bump/pothole etc.

The basic part of it is, find a solid point to tie down to, and tie it down solid enough to prevent movement. Do not go overboard though. With tire straps if you go overboard you can damage tires. T hook or Mini J hooks can tear through the tie down slot if you go overboard. Axle straps can damage suspension if you torque them down too hard etc.

Any which way you go, I recommend a minimum of a 4 point tie down.

Last edited:

raustin0017

Established Member
Basic rules for applying tie-down / restraint are to keep the item secure from moving forward, aft, and lateral. If your tow vehicle has to stop, accelerate or turn rapidly so will your cargo. 4 point tie down is the minimum.

If / when I tie mine down for transport...I will use the wheels. I will first wrap the section where the tie down strap is going with a microfiber towel and then apply the strap. This will protect the wheel finish while providing me a 4 point tie down. You don't have 'crank' on the tie down strap...just get it nice and snug.

Using a 2x4 or anything else to 'chock' a vehicle for transport is just crazy.

C0bra99

Established Member
I have not had a chance to look at the trailer for the location of the D rings or e-trac yet. Best case would be to have one located in front and behind each tire and I can run a strap over the tires and fasten them so in that case it would be a 8 point?

The 2x4 doesn't stop side to side movement that will happen either. It all depends on the layout of the trailer for tie downs. Does it have e-trak, d rings, chain keyholes?

If you use t hooks or mini-j hooks you will be looking for reinforced slots on the chassis to hook to. I haven't been under a gt500 in a while, so I can't tell you exactly where they are. They are usually out to the sides near the rocker panels right around the front of the door. You will be able to tell they are reinforced because they will have extra metal that comes out in the shape of the slot, where as the other holes in the chassis, are just that, holes. They are shaped like a stretched oval if that makes sense.

What I do when I transport my vette on my deck is I use an 8 point over the tire tie down system. It goes behind the top of the tire with a strap keeper in the front of it. Each tire has a system to keep the car from moving forwards or backwards. The straps pull slightly to the side, so each side keeps the other from moving the car sideways when hitting a big bump/pothole etc.

The basic part of it is, find a solid point to tie down to, and tie it down solid enough to prevent movement. Do not go overboard though. With tire straps if you go overboard you can damage tires. T hook or Mini J hooks can tear through the tie down slot if you go overboard. Axle straps can damage suspension if you torque them down too hard etc.

Any which way you go, I recommend a minimum of a 4 point tie down.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I use mini J hooks in the frame in the front and axle staps around the axle in the rear. I cross the straps both front and rear, for lateral movement. Car in gear and E brake on. No issues and no movement. Ky to SC and no issues or movement.

Last edited:

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Tie down

I ran aluminum load track front to rear at the average of my fleets center to center tread width.I got that and the straps from Macs.I can haul everything I have no problem,including my Ford GT.It did require almost 500 screws for the two 22' runs.
The one thing that would make it better would be to have it built into the floor instead of on top.Maybe next time.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Everyone has their method. Rear gets axle straps. Front I go to the k-member and hook directly into it and then outward to D-rings. Tranny in neutral--I don't like the idea of the cars weight applying pressure to the trans gears while bouncing down the road. Parking brake set.

Tom

cobraboss

Established Member
Done it many ways, but I like thru the wheels the best and the easiest.

featurecar50

Established Member
I just go around the lower A arms ( I think thats what its called) its located next to the front tires, and for the back I go around the rear axle. Is this ok to do it this way?

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I have powdercoated wheels also, and I went through the front wheels with microfiber towels anywhere rubbing was possible. Then just went around the rear axle.

svt662

Established Member
On one of my first threads I posted a couple of photos of the day I picked up my Shelby on my car trailer. You can try to find it to see how it was strapped down or if someone on this forum could post the photos for me you would be able to see them! ;-)

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
everyone has their method. Rear gets axle straps. Front i go to the k-member and hook directly into it and then outward to d-rings. Tranny in neutral--i don't like the idea of the cars weight applying pressure to the trans gears while bouncing down the road. Parking brake set.

Tom

x2

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just go around the lower A arms ( I think thats what its called) its located next to the front tires, and for the back I go around the rear axle. Is this ok to do it this way?

I was concerned about cutting the strap on the a-arm and didn't find anywhere to hook directly with the metal hook.

If you mean sway bar definitely no.

Tom

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
I have moved quite often being in the military and every time I move I use J hooks on the front and hook them on the A-arms. I cross them and then tighten the chains down. On my old 03 Cobra I have used both axle straps routed through the rear A-arms. I never had any issues with ruining the axle straps. I would release the emergency brake and take it out of gear to tighten the rear straps so as to ensure the front chains were good and snug. I also crossed the rear strap to limit lateral movement. Over a 1200 mile move from Kansas to Virginia not a single problem trailer/towing. I have not needed to trailer the Shelby yet but I am all ready looking at how to do it. As I recall there is a section in the owners manual that talks about this.

C0bra99

Established Member
I have moved quite often being in the military and every time I move I use J hooks on the front and hook them on the A-arms. I cross them and then tighten the chains down. On my old 03 Cobra I have used both axle straps routed through the rear A-arms. I never had any issues with ruining the axle straps. I would release the emergency brake and take it out of gear to tighten the rear straps so as to ensure the front chains were good and snug. I also crossed the rear strap to limit lateral movement. Over a 1200 mile move from Kansas to Virginia not a single problem trailer/towing. I have not needed to trailer the Shelby yet but I am all ready looking at how to do it. As I recall there is a section in the owners manual that talks about this.

I looked and all I found was a note to use the t-hooks
Transport_zpscdaea083.gif

Users who are viewing this thread