Strange Whirring Sound

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
I've searched around and can't seem to find a thread with a similar issue. Whenever the RPMs get up to around 3k I start to hear a strange whirring sound. It comes when the clutch is engaged/disengaged, in gear/out of gear, and at part throttle/WOT. It also happens both in motion and at a stop when just revving the engine. The car only has 1500 miles on it but I'm the second owner so I have no idea how it was broken in. At first I thought it was drive train noise but it's solely dependent on the engine RPMs. Any input would be appreciated.

paluka21

Established Member
Have someone rev the motor while the hood is popped and you're standing at the engine bay to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

DaveJP

Established Member
There have been similar threads on this and other forums. My 2014 has done this since new...Others have had it for 10k+ miles with no ill effects. Apparently it is just the SC, as others have replaced every pulley and the noise still persists. Conclusion seems to be that some make more noise than others.

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
There have been similar threads on this and other forums. My 2014 has done this since new...Others have had it for 10k+ miles with no ill effects. Apparently it is just the SC, as others have replaced every pulley and the noise still persists. Conclusion seems to be that some make more noise than others.

I've seen a few other complaints of similar noise but none of them seem to be the same as mine. I took it to my usual Ford dealership and the tech agreed that the sound was strange but attributed it to the resonator eliminator. I'll have to switch the stock baffle back on and see if I can replicate the sound.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Every time I here a whinny noise coming from my car... I also turn to my wife and ask her if she was saying something .... lmao :)

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
[video=youtube;OvO31p3QPB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvO31p3QPB4[/video]

Here's a video of the humming/whirring sound. You can start to hear it around 2800 RPM and it gradually increases in volume once RPMs hit 3000. It's especially noticeable when shifting at around 3300-3500 RPMs and letting the revs fall.

DaveJP

Established Member
That's the noise. I've got the same, and have heard it in other vid clips. As you described, it is especially noticeable when the revs fall between shifts (you can hear an immediate decrease until the rpms are increased)

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
I'm not sure if that's the same noise that my car has but in your case it would help if you actually record the noise with the windows closed.

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I've searched around and can't seem to find a thread with a similar issue. Whenever the RPMs get up to around 3k I start to hear a strange whirring sound. It comes when the clutch is engaged/disengaged, in gear/out of gear, and at part throttle/WOT. It also happens both in motion and at a stop when just revving the engine. The car only has 1500 miles on it but I'm the second owner so I have no idea how it was broken in. At first I thought it was drive train noise but it's solely dependent on the engine RPMs. Any input would be appreciated.
Have you been able to address this with your Ford Dealer, SIK07GTSTANG? If so, what have they said? Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this for you if needed.

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread