STRANGE...spark plug issue!

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Thick brownish orange residue covering bottom half of ceramic insolater and socket flats. Residue spread like corrosion completely around the socket part of the plug, rubber wire cover, etc..

OK...so I've recently noticed that my cobra is down on power...hesitation...sluggish. First noticed only in higher gears with boost and assumed the clutch was going. Then started to notice in low gear with no boost...pulling into driveway, rough idle, and realized not clutch. Did search here and found that my symptons closely resemble those of a failing fuel rail pressure sensor.

I pulled the vacume line, and no fuel came out. Replaced sensor anyway and took for a spin with NO change. Came back here and found that with a bad sensor...should change or clean plugs, oil and filter.

OK, changed oil and filter. Started changing plugs...7 of the 8 looked fine. But the eighth (drivers side closest to the firewall) exibited the above symptoms. Replaced all 8 and the car runs awesome!

Question is...was this really caused by a failing fuel pressure sensor, and if not what really caused it? The electrodes and core of ALL 8 plugs looked fine, but obviously this one was bad. Could not find any info anywhere describing a plug fouled the way mine was.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Water. It happens to mine allot. The seal around the coil cover leaks water down into the plug bores. This causes the corrosion and loss in power.

antiv6

Established Member
mine was the same, exhibited no problems i just changed for pulley swap i made normal power and compression is fine if you find anything out let me know, ive gone i pulled the new plug after a while and there was no sign of anything

antiv6

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Water. It happens to mine allot. The seal around the coil cover leaks water down into the plug bores. This causes the corrosion and loss in power.
that makes sense, the corrosion rubbed off easily

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Hmmm...makes sense (though cleaning all the corrosion out of the bottom where the plug seats was a pain). Guess I wasted my money on the pressure sensor. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the replies. :beer:

2004silvercobra

Established Member
water for sure. something i did is get some petroleum jelly and rub a little around the rubber seal on the coil cover it helps to make a better seal to stop some of the water, kinda just like u would do on a oil fiter to seal it.

Users who are viewing this thread