Strange sound coming from head/header area

roberthamm

Established Member
On my way into work this morning I noticed the L started sounding strange. So I turned down the radio and under acceleration <30% throttle the truck sounds like a tractor. But when rolling along at a slow speed bellow 2k rpm you can't really hear it.

So when I got to work I checked the oil (looked good not milky) and to see if it was smoking at all (no smoke).

To me and my not very experienced mechanical mind It sounds like a puff of air puffing out over and over making the tractor sound (best way I can describe it).

There is no visible Black build up that I can see yet were the headers meet the block but I will be inspecting more when I get home.

The truck has been leaking a very small amount of coolant from somewhere up top of the motor (pretty sure its the intake gasket).

My truck has forged bottom end with 6k on it, Ported P1 heads, pacesetter longtubes (junk) and everything else is stock spec.

Any ideas? I really hope its not a head gasket considering how fresh this motor is.

Last edited:

roberthamm

Established Member
After some thorough investigation I found that the back top blot was backed out. So I though to myself "Sweet! I'll just tighten this back up and we'll be good to go".. buttttt after I tightened the back bolt I saw a clear leak towards the middle of the gasket with little black exhaust gunk spurting out.

So I ordered a set of Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts and some new gaskets.

Let me tell you that these pacesetter long tubes make it a true PAIN IN THE ASS to get to the bolts. I had to use like 3 swivel adapters and 3 socket extensions ha.

Trying to figure out how I am supposed to get a torque wrench in there. lol

Users who are viewing this thread