Strange problem, please help!

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
This is the second time this has happened now, first time was a few weeks ago. I started my car up, and the front right speaker started to have a loud clicking noise at a rate of about 3 per second. The click went with the volume, so if I turned the radio up it went up, if I turned it down it went down. Turning the radio off and then back on did not help. Turning the engine off, then restarting it did not help. Only by turning the engine off, removing the key, then restarting it did the clicking go away.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on? Anyone else ever get this problem?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Maybe a bad ground. :shrug:

But I do say that for every electrical problem. :)

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
mine has done the exact same thing... just like twice since I've had it. went away as fast as it came. I believe I turned the car off and back on last time and it went away.

s2k4cobra

Established Member
I have had mine do the same thing, even had the dealership look at it when I had my TOB replaced. They replaced the stereo head unit with a brand new one and I would be damned if it did not do it again when I got home from the dealership which is 87 miles away. It is weird because it has only done it twice since a 2 month period. It seems to happen when I have left the stereo on when I shut off the car and go back out later and start it. That is the only thing I have noticed.

360R

Established Member
LOL, Do you guys have cell phones in the car when its doing it. My buddies was doing the same thing and turned out it was his nextel. might be a stupid question, but worth a shot...

s2k4cobra

Established Member
I had Cingular up until two months ago and now have Nextel. I had it happen with or without the phone in the car. Once it sounded like the front door tweeter, then the next time it was all speakers.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It's definitely not related to the phone. The sound goes away for me by restarting the car after key removal. I can drive along and the clicking continues until I restart.

Strange problem, I wonder what it is. Could be potentially embarrassing if carrying a friend in your $35k new car and it starts doing it.

03snakevert

12 volt tech
Established Member
Check to see which speaker

The 5x7s are amplified and the tweeters are powered by the radio next time it does this see if it comes from one or the other or both. If both I would look at the radio, if it is the tweeters see if all four are doing it if so (radio). If not and it is just the lower door speakers then either the amps or the output of the sub channel of the radio is bad. ps buy a new system and start over.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
bcwang said:
It's definitely not related to the phone. The sound goes away for me by restarting the car after key removal. I can drive along and the clicking continues until I restart.

Strange problem, I wonder what it is. Could be potentially embarrassing if carrying a friend in your $35k new car and it starts doing it.

Its more embarrassing when the radio is off and you can hear how loud the vibration is on the stock shifter and a friend asks you if something is wrong with your transmission.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Wow! Mine does the same thing! I didn't know it was this prevalent! It happens intermittantly and I have no idea what triggers it. It sounds like ignition feedback, but I honestly can't remember if it speeds up with rpm. I have to shut the car off and restart it to get rid of it. I have not even considered having Ford look at it because it's something they would never duplicate unless they were lucky and even then I doubt it could be traced at the dealership level. If there is this much of it, maybe we'll see a TSB soon!

Romans8:28

Established Member
Add another victim (me) of the mysterious "radio click"......... mine is random and exactly as described here. It is in all 4 speakers simultaneously and increases with volume, also it is more pronounced on certain stations and is not present with cd's

Any new thoughts on this issue?

s2k4cobra

Established Member
Mine still does it every once in awhile and if you turn the radio off and let it sit for a minute and turn it back on it goes off.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Wow, I usually get every strange problem that comes down the pike. I have never experienced this though. Something to look forward to I guess lol.

Romans8:28

Established Member
striker_29 said:
Wow, I usually get every strange problem that comes down the pike. I have never experienced this though. Something to look forward to I guess lol.

Yeah really!

But hey I am happy if this is my "worst" experience....

I will take the radio "click" over the engine "tick" any day :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread