Strange popping noise just in front of clutch pedal

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I've got a problem that has me a little bit concerned, hopefully you guys can help me out.

Last weekend, I started hearing this strange popping sound coming from just in front of the clutch pedal on the engine side of the firewall. It's irregular and doesn't seem to correlate with going over any bumps, so I don't think it's an exhaust leak or anything in the suspension. If I have my foot on the clutch pedal, I can feel the pedal vibrate when I hear the noise, so I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by something related to the driveline. It's not the infamous '04' clunking noise: I've heard that clunking from the driveshaft both in the rear (solid axle) and in the front by the tranny in this car and this is definitely not that.

It seems to happen more after I've been driving for a little while and I notice it more at lower speeds and lower RPMs, but it doesn't seem to correlate to a change in speed or RPMs either (further evidence against the driveshaft clunk). I have only heard the sound while the shifter is in gear, both with the clutch in and out. I generally don't hear it when the car is completely stopped (although I may have a couple times), but it doesn't take much movement somtimes for it to show up...as little as rolling from gravity after letting off the brakes. The sound is unmistakeably coming from directly in front of the clutch pedal on the other side of the firewall and it is definitely a pop, not a clunk.

Any ideas what is causing this? I really appreciate any help.

-Stevo

Charles236

Established Member
My Mach has a popping noise in the same area, probably from the same thing. It used to happen so often that I could predict when it would happen, but since I did some chassis stiffening it has decreased to a very occasional pop. I believe that it is a slight bit of firewall flex from the pressure exerted by depressing the clutch or brake pedals, but I haven't looked at anything in that area close enough to prove it.

RealBadDude

Banned
that is most likely the factory quadrent on it's way out.

it has plastic teeth from the factory and they frequently strip out.

the pop you hear is the quadrent skipping down the couple of stripped teeth.

time to replace it with a aluminum double hook quadrent and adjustable cable and firewall adjuster.

better to replace the quadrent now then your tranny later.

RealBadDude

Banned
i have the steeda kit. I like it

my kit came with:
a fully adjustable cable
aluminum quadrent
firewall adjuster.

i would recommend the complete kit mentioned above.

if you buy the quadrent alone, you will require some means of adjustment, since the aluminum quadrent has no teeth like the factory unit. so an adjustable cable or firewall adjuster, or both will be required.

that link appears to have everything you will need

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread