Strange one time only leak

palehorse

Established Member
I recently bought a new house (still in the remodeling stage) and I drove my car into the driveway. The entry to the driveway is a bit steap going up and then drops steaply away. I rolled gently through it suspecting that something may rub on the way through and sure enough it did. It sounded like the exhaust scraping as I went over the hump. As it scraped I stopped and looked under the car to see what scraped and it was one of the bolt ends on the exhaust. As I was stopped there in the driveway with the nose of the car droping down and the rear end of the car resting on the flat portion of driveway, I saw gear oil drip down right about where the dogbone is located. I could not believe my eyes! My car is garage kept and has never leake one drop of anything. I sat and watch it it dripped again. Obviously I thought something bad had happened. I backed out onto the street and parked it on level pavement. No leak. Not one drop. I drove it home and no leak in the garage. I drove it to work and again no leak in my parking stall. No leak period.

My question is what was it about that weird angle in the driveway that made it leak? As recently as yesterday I parked again in the driveway but not on the downward angle and it did not leak? Whats up with that?

Joe Dirt R/C

Established Member
Its probably leaking throught the center of the yoke, and through the pinion nut. Its a easy fix. Just requires removing the yoke, cleaning the pinion stem, and center of the yoke, and putting sealer on the pinon stem. Put it all back together. Mark the pinon nut before you remove it, so when you re-install it, it still has the correct bearing crush. Be sure to put locktite on the nut too.

Users who are viewing this thread