Strange occurance...

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Odd thing happened this weekend. I was going to wash the 98 Cobra, got out and was throwing misc. things in the trunk and the car died. Out of the blue won't start and it threw 2 codes.

P1000 - OBDII readiness
P0232 - has to to with a high voltage spike at the fuel pump I believe.

Any ideas? Do you think the fuel pump went out?... while the car was idling?

Thoughts? Thanks for your help.:beer:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
P1000 means your PCM is in learn mode. Did you remove power from it (disconnect the Batt) in the last week or so or did it lose power and that is why your car died? P1000 means the PCM is still building control tables. Mines been doing it for a month now, cant get the dam thing inspected until P1000 goes away.

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
When you say throwing things in the trunk, how hard were you throwing them? The fuel pump inertia switch is right there behind the driver side tail light so if you were being rough it could have tripped the fuel cutoff. I'm assuming when you say it won't start you mean it's cranking but not firing right?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
P1000 means your PCM is in learn mode. Did you remove power from it (disconnect the Batt) in the last week or so or did it lose power and that is why your car died? P1000 means the PCM is still building control tables. Mines been doing it for a month now, cant get the dam thing inspected until P1000 goes away.

Interesting... no haven't disconnected the battery recently. Good info here though - Thanks for posting up.:beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
When you say throwing things in the trunk, how hard were you throwing them? The fuel pump inertia switch is right there behind the driver side tail light so if you were being rough it could have tripped the fuel cutoff. I'm assuming when you say it won't start you mean it's cranking but not firing right?

I wouldn't say I was throwing things in the truck hard, however is it possible I triggered the fuel cutoff... absolutely. How would I correct the issue if I did?

Correct, it is cranking just not firing up.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Ok I unhooked the red cable left it off for a while, put it back on and started it up.... nothing.

Same codes came back. Do you think it's the pump?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
the p1000 code I wouldnt worry about... its just a readyness monitor.. here is more infomations on that...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/43322-code-p1000.html

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

P0232 - Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High NOTE: For natural gas applications, the following description applies to the fuel shutoff valve monitor (FSVM) and the fuel shutoff valve power (FSV PWR) circuits.
The PCM monitors the fuel pump monitor (FPM) circuit. This test fails when the PCM detects voltage on the FPM circuit while the fuel pump is commanded OFF. The FPM circuit is wired to a pull-up voltage inside the PCM. The FPM circuit will go high if, with the key ON and the fuel pump commanded OFF, the FPM/FP PWR circuit loses its path to ground through the fuel pump. The FPM circuit will also go high if the FPM/FP PWR circuit is shorted to power.
Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch not reset or electrically open
Open circuit between the fuel pump and the FPM connection to the FP PWR circuit
Poor fuel pump ground
Fuel pump electrically open
Fuel pump secondary circuits short to power
Fuel pump relay contacts always closed
Open FPM circuit between PCM and connection to FP PWR circuit
Damaged low speed fuel pump relay or concern with related circuits (if equipped)

Id lean towards your grounds getting rusty... get a wire wheel and clean the grounds for the fuel pump...

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Try tapping the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet. Sometimes it will get the pump to run. If it does replace the pump.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
the p1000 code I wouldnt worry about... its just a readyness monitor.. here is more infomations on that...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/43322-code-p1000.html

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

P0232 - Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High NOTE: For natural gas applications, the following description applies to the fuel shutoff valve monitor (FSVM) and the fuel shutoff valve power (FSV PWR) circuits.
The PCM monitors the fuel pump monitor (FPM) circuit. This test fails when the PCM detects voltage on the FPM circuit while the fuel pump is commanded OFF. The FPM circuit is wired to a pull-up voltage inside the PCM. The FPM circuit will go high if, with the key ON and the fuel pump commanded OFF, the FPM/FP PWR circuit loses its path to ground through the fuel pump. The FPM circuit will also go high if the FPM/FP PWR circuit is shorted to power.
Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch not reset or electrically open
Open circuit between the fuel pump and the FPM connection to the FP PWR circuit
Poor fuel pump ground
Fuel pump electrically open
Fuel pump secondary circuits short to power
Fuel pump relay contacts always closed
Open FPM circuit between PCM and connection to FP PWR circuit
Damaged low speed fuel pump relay or concern with related circuits (if equipped)

Id lean towards your grounds getting rusty... get a wire wheel and clean the grounds for the fuel pump...

Great info... do I need to drop the tank to check the grounds or is there a specific place inside the trunk where this is?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Haven't really had time to look into it yet... might be the fuel pump is bad. I'm will probably just drop it off at a shop and have them fix it.

My94GT

Established Member
drop the tank and check the conections. what about your fuses and relays...have you checked them yet?

Users who are viewing this thread