strange noise

G04cobra

Established Member
So last night I was on my way home then I noticed a strange noise underneath my car. Its hard to explain but it sound like a washing machine sort of like a repetitive whoosh sound. I have no idea where to even look. I haven't done anything to the car recently so I'm stumped, any suggestions?:shrug:

Jefe

Established Member
Does it change with the clutch pressed? When you rev it?

G04cobra

Established Member
I don't hear it when it revs just when its rolling, doesn't matter whether I'm in gear or neutral its pretty annoying.

Jefe

Established Member
Might be the brake dust shields rubbing. Can you get a video of it?

Jefe

Established Member
I dont really know what a whoosh sounds like besides coming out of my mouth. Is it a consistent sound or does it speed up the faster you go?

G04cobra

Established Member
it speeds up the faster I go, sounds pretty much like when you swing a plastic bat over and over.

Jefe

Established Member
Ya sounds like its in the wheel well, Id look there first, probably have to the take rims off

G04cobra

Established Member
so I took off all the wheel s and found out that my rear passenger side tire has some play in it. I tried to tighten any visible bolts, is there anything in particular I would need to replace? I'm not sure if this would be causing the noise.

Jefe

Established Member
So it wiggles left and right when you try to move it? Thats not right. Tighten that massive nut

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
so I took off all the wheel s and found out that my rear passenger side tire has some play in it. I tried to tighten any visible bolts, is there anything in particular I would need to replace? I'm not sure if this would be causing the noise.

Most likely the rear halfshaft retaining nut. Torque to 240-250# with a 36mm socket.

If you ran with this loose for any length of time you most likely toasted the bearing AND hub.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

G04cobra

Established Member
yup it was loose, the caliper bracket scratched my rotor so i replaced it, tightened everything and it still makes that noise. Where could I find the bearing and hub? thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread